Splish Splash: Stanford gets thrashed

Women’s swim surpassed Stanford in the relay for the first time since 1999.

By DANA HAMMERSTROM
Women’s swimming and diving is 8-0 this season after upsetting both Cal and Stanford at Uytengsu Aquatics Center. (Bryce Dechert / Daily Trojan)

The No. 7 USC women’s swim and dive team continued their winning streak this weekend, beating No. 4 Stanford 155.5 to 142.5 to sweep their battle against the Bay Area. This is the first time the Trojans have started the season 8-0. 

In a neck-and-neck battle of splashes and screams from the crowd at Uytengsu Aquatics Center, the USC women’s 400-yard freestyle relay team beat the Cardinal for the first time since 1999, finishing with a time of 3:11.96 compared to Stanford’s 3:12.57. 

Leading off for USC in the 400 free relay was graduate Vasilissa Buinaia, followed by senior Anicka Delgado and sophomore Hannah Kuechler. The relay team was anchored by freshman Minna Abraham, who made up for lost yards and eventually overtook Stanford’s anchor, junior Lillie Nordmann. The stands erupted during the last sprint with Abraham’s final flip turn bringing her just inches ahead to win the event. 

USC’s success on Saturday came after upsetting No. 5 UC Berkeley 152-148 Friday. The relays dominated against the Golden Bears as well. Delgado and Buinaia teamed up with senior Caroline Famous and senior Kaitlyn Dobler in the 400 medley relay, opening their dual meet on a high note. The four squeaked into the first-place slot by less than half a second; USC finished in 3:28.71, and Cal took second place with 3:29.05. 

The Trojans will face crosstown rival UCLA next weekend at Spieker Aquatics Center.