A guide to the best record stores around LA

Here is a comprehensive list to dive into the city’s local crate-digging scene.

By NICK VIRNICH
Los Angeles is home to a vibrant music scene, including a variety of record stores featuring contemporary and vintage records. (Mick Haupt / Unsplash)

Amoeba Music is undoubtedly one of the best places to shop for anything music along with their wide selection of movies, books and other merchandise and memorabilia. Many USC students are also likely familiar with shopping at The Last Bookstore in downtown Los Angeles for their books and vinyl. However, there are plenty more smaller brick-and-mortar record stores in the L.A. area that can give students a taste of the local music scene.

High Fidelity Records

This destination shares a name with the classic movie “High Fidelity” (2000), portraying the typical record store lifestyle.

The store has an even mix of old rock, jazz and R&B along with newer hip-hop, electronic and indie records. For those who like collecting used vinyl, every Friday night, High Fidelity posts a video on its Instagram flipping through its “new arrivals” section for a preview of what will be for sale Saturday morning. The store will also label the used records with what their condition is and catalog the year and version of the pressing.

The store occasionally also hosts performances, meet and greets, and listening events. Along with Going Underground Records and The Last Bookstore, High Fidelity is another great option to get your music fix near USC. While you’re in the area, consider hitting up Johnny’s down the street on Adams Boulevard for their pastrami sandwich.

Arroyo Records

This spot located in the popular neighborhood of Highland Park has great finds for everyone. Arroyo Records offers a great selection of used rock, jazz and soul records while also supplying new vinyl from both popular contemporary artists along with smaller local artists. In the middle of the store, there are crates full of their staff picks, which offer albums that might be unfamiliar to some people, but are worth listening to.

While you’re by Arroyo Records, check out Villa’s Tacos down on Figueroa Street and try the Villa’s Trio!

Record Surplus

This record haven on Santa Monica Boulevard always has a great selection of both new and used vinyl that spans across all genres. At the front register, customers can always find a great selection of new arrivals along with their rare records displayed on the wall, including an original mono Miles Davis “Kind of Blue” LP along with an original “The Velvet Underground & Nico” with an unpeeled banana.

This spot is one of the best places to find a lot of 45s and 12-inch records for those who enjoy collecting singles. The store also sells CDs, cassettes and movies. When you’re done perusing the shelves, sit down for a meal at Darya, a family-style Persian restaurant down the street.

The Record Parlour

This record store in the heart of Hollywood is the best place to go if you love digging through used records. Its bins are always stacked with essential records for every collector and offer a wide array of genres. The store also hosts vinyl auctions via Instagram live broadcast, where it showcases new batches of favorite records.

If you happen to find yourself in the area on your night out, you can browse until 11:30 p.m. every night of the week. A fun eating destination nearby is Hollywood Shawarma, a Syrian spot for some of the most popular shawarma in L.A.

Record Safari

This record store located in Los Feliz is owned and operated by Alex Rodriguez, who also curates Coachella’s on-site record store. Rodriguez is also featured in the movie “Record Safari” (2022), which documents his experience going across the country to collect and curate records. The actual record store itself is home to a large collection of records within every genre you could imagine.

On its Instagram page, the store posts its new arrivals, including rare out-of-print and promo records that Rodriguez is able to secure with his incredible digging talents.

Up about a mile from Record Safari is Mini Kabob in Glendale, which boasts some of the best Armenian cuisine in L.A.

Permanent Records Roadhouse

Permanent Records is a record store in Cypress Park which also happens to be part of a popular bar and music venue that is home to many local artists. Actor Fred Armisen often plays his live punk rock covers at the Roadhouse as well.

The record store offers a great selection of both affordable and rare collectible vinyl. It also provides a great selection of independent and local records from various artists.

If you are in the area, check out Moo’s Craft Barbecue for some of L.A.’s award-winning barbecue.

Cosmic Vinyl Cafe

This cozy destination located off of Sunset Boulevard and Alvarado Street is both a record store and coffee shop. In the front of the store, you can order a variety of drinks and pastries and then in the back, you can sit at the store’s small tables before going through to see what is in its bins.

Cosmic Vinyl’s new arrivals are always stocked with goodies: once there were a whole bunch of David Bowie and The Beatles records in there. Similar to Arroyo, Cosmic also offers a nice selection of staff picks showcasing some of the store’s favorite records for sale.

The store is surrounded by good eats — Quarter Sheets Pizza has some of the best Detroit-style pizza in L.A., and Angel’s Tijuana Tacos near Dodger Stadium has some of the best tacos.