You can choose a different Greek life

Professional and cultural Greek organizations offer another option for students.

By EMILY PHALLY
(Alanna Jimenez / Daily Trojan)

Scattered across 28th Street, Greek-lettered houses stand as a beacon of social life at USC, attracting students to the Row like moths to a flame every weekend. During USC’s recruitment and rush season that occurs during the early months of each semester, many strive to call one of those houses home.

However, students often overlook, or are uninformed, of the options for pre-professional and cultural Greek organizations. The decision to join a Greek organization, and more importantly, which one to choose among the 58 at USC which span seven distinct councils, is varied and complex.

The appeal of joining a fraternity or sorority, whether it be social, professional or cultural, is sort of like the thrill of wearing the Sorting Hat that determines your Hogwarts house. Sororities and fraternities offer students a second family and long-lasting relationships with their like-minded sisters, brothers, and “big” and “little” siblings, and can significantly enhance one’s college experience. 

Professional and cultural organizations can also provide a sense of belonging based on shared ethnicity or interests, along with access to alumni networks in members’ prospective professional fields, resulting in a very specialized experience for those in search of community.

Jennie Duong, a junior majoring in industrial and systems engineering, is a “Neo” — a new member — of Delta Phi Kappa, an Asian-interest sorority under the Asian Greek Council.

What drew Duong to rush the AGC organization was that it provided a much more intimate setting than a cultural club or Panhellenic Council sororities.

“Deltas [have] been around for 64 years this year, and [the sorority] was exclusively chartered at USC,” Duong said. “Having everyone share that close-knit identity [as Trojans], … I really enjoy that aspect and really value the history that [Deltas] have.”

The journey to initiation demands a semester-long commitment, from member coffee chats and service events to community social gatherings. Contrary to what its name might suggest, rushing is a lengthy and deliberate process designed to carefully sift through candidates.

With the commitment to professional fraternities in mind, it’s important to consider the unique benefits they offer compared to professional student organizations.

Elizabeth Abreu, a junior majoring in international relations as well as NGOs and social change, has been a member of Delta Phi Epsilon, USC’s first and only foreign service society, for two years.

She believes the lengthy process of rushing is worth it to forge authentic relationships and guarantee a smooth transition as a new member.

“[The requirements for a new member] make it easier, if anything, to fulfill the things you want to do with the club,” Abreu said. “It’s not just a resume plug, you make authentic friendships.”

It’s worth noting that the professional rushing process, while demanding, offers valuable real-world experience. It prepares students for the competitive nature of the job market, honing skills like interviewing, networking and professional etiquette. 

Furthermore, as part of USC’s emphasis on the Trojan Network, members gain exclusive access to their organization’s distinguished alumni network. 

“I just had a coffee chat with a former president of DPE just last weekend because we still keep in touch,” Abreu said. “Just to be able to have that community of people beyond the graduation day … has met my expectations twofold.”

Discovering your place at USC can be a challenging journey, regardless of how much time you’ve spent as a Trojan. It’s important to recognize that Greek culture isn’t one-size-fits-all, and the experiences within fraternities or sororities can vary greatly from common perceptions. 

Cultural and professional Greek organizations can provide the chance to immerse oneself in a community of like-minded individuals who share similar interests, passions or backgrounds for those averse to traditional Greek life.

These groups also foster a close-knit community, strengthening bonds through various events that encourage stepping out of your comfort zone and engaging with others. Remember, it’s you who shapes your experiences, not the other way around.