Women’s swim and dive takes a shot at history against Bruins

USC aims for an undefeated regular season in a critical showdown against UCLA.

By ANDREW NGUYEN
Women’s swim and dive will close out the regular season with a chance to secure its first-ever undefeated record. The Trojans will first need to overcome their crosstown rival UCLA Bruins Friday to make history. (Bryce Dechert / Daily Trojan)

No. 7 USC emerged as a formidable force during a challenging weekend of competitions against No. 5 UC Berkeley and No. 4 Stanford. Both victories were secured dramatically in the final event of each afternoon. 

The Trojans (8-0, 5-0 Pac-12) will now look to build on the momentum in their final matchup of the regular season, and are set to travel across town to Westwood to face off against rival UCLA (5-3, 3-3). Head Coach Lea Maurer has ushered in a new era of USC swimming, and it’s felt throughout the whole team.  

“It’s all about that we’re leaning onto each other, that we don’t back away and we’re not scared of the hard work,” said freshman Minna Abraham in an interview with the Daily Trojan. “If someone’s having a bad day, you help them and they help you. The team culture [Maurer]’s been building is incredible, I love it.”  

However, this year’s matchup goes beyond just that of a rivalry. In her second year at the helm, Maurer finds herself presented with a distinctive opportunity: the chance to lead USC to its first ever undefeated women’s season.

“This is a big year, and I think we’re really trying to stay present and focus [on] appreciating every opportunity,”  Maurer said. “We talked about how every point matters. [The team] heard the narrative and felt [it] this weekend.”  

High-octane performances and infectious energy catalyzed a victory in both matchups for the Trojans — recording the women’s first win against both opponents since 1996. USC’s animation could be felt throughout the weekend. 

“Every single event, it doesn’t matter who’s swimming, we’re all on the sidelines or the bulkhead cheering for each other,” said senior Caroline Famous. “Doesn’t matter what you swim or who your closest friends are, we are all one.”  

Famous established her dominance and versatility throughout the weekend, delivering season-best performances in all her events, showcasing in the 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard backstroke, medley and relay events, along with the newly added 100-yard butterfly. Her contributions were prominent, securing first place six times and second place twice throughout the weekend.

“[Famous] just answered the bell  … She stays so focused on her lane and her job and is wildly playful and joyful in the endeavor,” Maurer said. “I’m hoping more people steal from her playbook.” 

Although she’s just a freshman, Abraham delivered the performance of a well-seasoned veteran in the clutch as she anchored both the 200 and 400 free relays. The 17-year-old Hungary native, who currently holds the USC record 200-yard freestyle time, played a pivotal role in delivering the final blow to both Cal and Stanford. 

Abraham orchestrated a remarkable comeback in the 200 free relay, sending the Uytengsu Aquatics Center into a wave of celebrations by narrowly out-touching Berkeley senior Isabelle Stadden by just 0.14  seconds. The following day, trailing Stanford senior Lillie Nordmann by more than a second in the 400 free relay, Abraham clocked an impressive 46.59, ultimately surpassing the Cardinals by 0.61 seconds and securing the meet for the Trojans.

Despite USC’s recent success, the Bruins are a team that should not be taken lightly. UCLA looks to challenge the Trojans in both the 50- and 100-yard free events. Graduate student Brooke Schaffer placed first in both events against Stanford, and also leads a speedy freestyle leg in the 200-yard medley that may pose a threat to the Trojans in the opening event. 

USC looks to remain undefeated when it goes on the road against crosstown rival UCLA Friday at 1 p.m. at Spieker Aquatics Center.