USC learns some Common sense

The multi-hyphenate artist spoke about his wellness journey Tuesday night.

By SAMMY BOVITZ
Common didn’t just speak to a crowd at Bovard Auditorium Tuesday — he also rapped, performing an unreleased verse a capella. (Isabella Villanueva / Daily Trojan)

One might expect a journalist to win an award presented through the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism and named after Charlotta Bass, a legendary journalist. But this year’s honoree, hip-hop icon Common, is much better known for his rhymes than his copy. It’s a distinction that Vice Provost for the Arts Josh Kun addressed in his introduction to “An Evening with Common,” held at Bovard Auditorium Tuesday night.

“Common is still best known to many for his transformational contributions to hip-hop music and culture,” Kun said. 

To that, Kun offered a subtle rebuttal. He began to quote one of the rapper’s most iconic songs, “I Used to Love H.E.R,” before pausing so the rest of the crowd could finish the line with equal parts enthusiasm and devotion. The booming response was fit for a great writer. 

“I met this girl when I was 10 years old / And what I loved most, she had so much soul.”

This reverent moment set the stage for the second annual bestowal of the Charlotta Bass Media Trailblazer Award, moderated by Charlotta Bass Journalism and Justice Lab founder Allissa Richardson. But while the night was ostensibly about Common’s reception of the award, the Chicagoan artist and Richardson quickly steered the conversation elsewhere. The two devoted special attention to his new memoir, “And Then We Rise: A Guide to Loving and Taking Care of Self.”  

As its title indicates, the book focuses heavily on personal wellness, a topic Common admitted he wasn’t fully familiar with when he was young. 

“I wasn’t growing up thinking about self-care, and I didn’t hear the word ‘self-love’ growing up  — that wasn’t something that we talked about,” Common said. “I do think my spiritual journey helped me to learn and love myself, and just recognizing the God that exists in all women and men helped me to see that God in me.”

The artist also reflected on his writing process for his new book, gushing about how the writing of “And Then We Rise” helped him understand his wellness journey.

“For me, writing a book is like therapy,” Common said. “Because I sit down, and I’m talking and going through different reasons why I’ve done stuff … Sometimes, you need to look back and say, ‘Oh, this is where I’ve come from.’”

Common made it very clear that while his central message of personal wellness was meant to reach everyone, his intended audience was primarily people of color. It was an admission that resonated with event attendee Camila Salas, a sophomore majoring in international relations.

“I like how he talks a lot about nutrition and self-care not being prioritized in Black and brown communities,” Salas said. “I’m from a Latino community, so for him to talk about that a lot in his book and, and to try to bring about baseline self-care, even if it is through eating healthier, that’s something that I really wish a lot more people in my community can do.”

During an open Q&A session after the conversation, the subject quickly turned to Common’s healing process. The artist admitted that healing takes time — and most importantly, that his approach wasn’t perfect right away.

“My feeling is, for me, this is an everyday practice. Some days, I’m doing all my practices, and I’m still feeling like, ‘Ah.’ So I have to dig deeper, and figure out what I can do to heal,” Common said. “Healing has been making sure I stay in tune with my therapist and making sure that I’m taking some time to myself.”

Before the night was over, Common confirmed that his previously announced album with noted producer Pete Rock is still on the way.

“I do have a new music project coming out where my voice sounds great on these beats,” Common said. “The people that just love the art form and great music — y’all are in for something, ’cause we cooking, and I’m feeling great about it.”

On a night largely about wellness and writing, Common couldn’t help it — he had to talk about music. But attendees like Preston Breck, a sophomore majoring in music industry, didn’t mind. After all, Common’s music has been important to Breck for many years.

“I’ve probably been following him since freshman year of high school,” Breck said. “His music’s usually something that I go to when I’m dealing with something. I see his music as a North Star.”

After the formal presentation of the award, the evening closed with a spontaneous a cappella performance of an unreleased verse from the rapper. The night closed with this brief concert, with his sharp poetry echoing across Bovard Auditorium.

“It’s pentatonic the way I be bendin’ phonics / It was written, like I’m livin’ in a sonnet / They marvel at me like I’m in a comic / Iron sharpens Iron Man, it’s ironic,” Common rapped.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.