Watkins rewrites history as women’s basketball takes down Colorado

The star freshman recorded her 11th 30-point game, setting USC’s single-season record.

By THOMAS JOHNSON
Freshman guard JuJu Watkins, graduate guard McKenzie Forbes and graduate guard Kayla Padilla combined to shoot 10-12 from deep across the first 20 minutes, electrifying the Galen Center crowd every time the ball went through the basket. (Bryce Dechert / Daily Trojan)

Look back at our live coverage.

She’s done it again.

Freshman guard JuJu Watkins recorded her 11th 30-point game of the season, breaking Cheryl Miller’s USC record for such games in a season. The star freshman — despite a career-high 10 turnovers — led her team to an 87-81 victory over the No. 11 Colorado Buffaloes (20-6, 10-5 Pac-12).

To make the moment even sweeter, Watkins broke the record with Miller in attendance.

No. 7 USC (21-4, 11-4), winning its seventh-straight game, was nearly perfect in the offensive end during the first half, even with eight turnovers. Watkins, graduate guard McKenzie Forbes and graduate guard Kayla Padilla combined to shoot 10-12 from deep across the first 20 minutes, electrifying the Galen Center crowd every time the ball went through the basket.

Colorado had the same downtown shooting percentage in the first half, but with half the attempts. Three of the Buffaloes’ first-half triples came in the final 1:27 of the second quarter, closing what was a 13-point Trojan lead to a mere 4 points.

Turnovers continued to be an issue for USC in the second half, partly because of Watkins. The Trojan lead quickly evaporated, as Colorado made seven of its eight free throw attempts in the third frame.

But USC quickly calmed itself down to stop the bleeding, and entered the final frame of action leading 67-61.

Watkins and Colorado’s graduate guard Jaylyn Sherrod were at the heart of a physical affair, as Sherrod committed five of the Buffaloes’ 24 fouls, and Watkins hit Sherrod in the face during the third quarter to earn a flagrant foul.

Once Sherrod — and her 11 points — fouled out with 8:15 left in the game, the Trojans were able to maintain their lead to close out the win.

The win is USC’s fifth over a ranked team this season and avenges a loss earlier in the season to the Buffaloes.

The Trojans entered the night in a three-way tie for second place in the Pac-12 with Colorado and Oregon State (22-4, 11-4). Oregon State won its own Friday night matchup, meaning USC remains in a tie for second place with three regular season games remaining.

USC will have the chance to avenge another one of its four losses, as it plays Utah (19-8, 9-6) Sunday at Galen Center with a noon tipoff.