ended

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL — 2023-24

USC vs. Utah — as it happened

Last updated:

Scoring plays

Win probability

Game flow

Leaders

Points

Rebounds

Assists

• (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)
    📌 PINNED
    Henry Mode from Galen Center; photos by Jordan Renville

No. 7 USC’s seven-game win streak screeches to a halt as No. 18 Utah crushes the Trojans’ revenge plot, beating them 74-68.

JuJu Watkins got her 30 points on the board, for the 12th time now this season; but it wasn’t enough to close the gap on the Utes, who kept USC trailing or tied for almost the entire game.

2:09 p.m.

Pili dribbles out the clock and we are done here. Utah complete a season sweep of USC, winning 74-68 and ending the Trojans’ seven-game winning streak. 

1:52 p.m.

Dasia Young is the latest in a series of Utes to hit the floor in a game that is becoming increasingly physical. Meanwhile, Kayla Padilla has joined the ball-game, hitting a triple with 3:28 left to finally get in the scoring column. 64-60 Utah with 2:36 to go.

1:44 p.m.

It has finally rained for Juju Watkins, and she has 5:26 left to let it pour. After finally getting a mid-range jumper to go, Watkins immediately followed it up with a triple as the Trojans trail 59-55.

1:34 p.m.

The third quarter comes to a close as the Trojans trail 50-45. A needed spark for USC has come from Davis, who is up to 13 points on perfect 6/6 shooting following a couple big putbacks. However, one of Watkins, Forbes, or Padilla will likely need to find their shot in the fourth quarter if the Trojans are going to pull this one out.

1:17 p.m.

Three minutes into the third quarter, Watkins still has not made a jump shot and the rest of the team is having a brutal shooting day. This game feels there for the taking if the Trojans can find any sort of offensive rhythm.

12:55 p.m.

We have reached halftime at Galen, after a hectic last few minutes where Gottlieb and Miller took turns…expressing their frustration with the officiating. The Trojans trail 34-28, but showed some positive signs on the offensive end towards the end of the half.

12:47 p.m.

Watkins has her third block of the half, as the game plan for Pili continues to work extremely well. USC legend Cheryl Miller, sitting courtside, was pumped up after the swat, leaping out of her seat and slapping Kayla Williams on the back.

12:43 p.m.

Watkins is already back, and it looks like the majority of fans didn’t even noticed she was missing from the bench. More on that later, but a sigh of relief for Gottlieb and the Trojans.

12:41 p.m.

It’s gone from bad to worse here for the Trojans as Watkins has just gone into the locker room after calling to be substituted out of the game. Unclear what’s going on, but USC is trailing and now suddenly missing their superstar point guard.

12:33 p.m.

Watkins is starting to get going here, hitting back-to-back three-point plays to get the crowd going. She still looks frustrated even when scoring, but is finding success getting to the rim with her jump-shot still off.

12:29 p.m.

We are through the first quarter here at Galen where the Trojans have managed… six points. Head Coach Lindsay Gottlieb having a spirited discussion with her team, currently shooting 17.6% from the field and trailing by eight.

12:25 p.m.

McKenzie Forbes just got up and clapped in Alissa Pili’s face after a turnover. Pili is being doubled in the post constantly, and the Trojans have a clear plan to frustrate her and force someone else to beat them this time around.

12:16 p.m.

Timeout Utes as it has been an ugly start to this one. The teams are a combined 3-16 from the field, and Juju Watkins has started 0-5.

12:11 p.m.

Kaitlyn Davis has drawn the assignment of former Trojan Alissa Pili today, who torched USC for 37 points in their last meeting, a game during which Davis played just 17 minutes.

12:05 p.m.

USC will look to start quickly after having a rough offensive outing against Utah last month in Salt Lake City, shooting 36.1% from the field and 28.0% from three on the way to a 78-58 defeat.

12:05 p.m.

It is senior night at Galen, as Trojan graduate students Mackenzie Forbes and Kayla Padilla are being celebrated pregame, among others.

11:55 a.m.

The Trojans are five minutes from tip here at a packed and enthusiastic Galen Center. Here is the starting lineup:

G Juju Watkins

G Kayla Padilla

G/F Mackenzie Forbes

F Kaitlyn Davis

C/F Rayah Marshall