Affordable internet services to expire in April

The Affordable Connectivity Program supported 35% of households in South Central.

By CAITLIN ROEHMHOLDT
DJ Kast, director of the Joint Educational Project’s STEM Education Programs, said all students should have equal access to the internet. (Henry Kofman / Daily Trojan)

The Affordable Connectivity Program, which provided discounted internet services to more than 22 million low-income households across the United States, will expire in April because of a lack of ongoing congressional funding. The ACP stopped accepting applications Feb. 7. This affects many of the households in the surrounding area of USC. 

The ACP, a project of the Federal Communications Commission, includes a $30 discount per month for internet services in eligible households and $75 per month for recognized tribal lands. Households can also use a one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer or tablet, as long as they pay between $10 and $50 for the technology.

François Bar, a professor of communications and spatial sciences, said many Angelenos living near USC will be directly affected by the change.

“Some of the areas of South [Central] are the areas that are the most stressed in terms of finances … so it’s going to be a big impact,” Bar said. “[The ACP has] reduced the price or the cost of getting internet access for many people who are low-income.”

On Dec. 31, 2021, the FCC launched the ACP to replace the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program, a program created during the coronavirus pandemic that provided qualifying households a $50 discount per month. 

Bar said the ACP has helped low-income households across the country by reducing the strain internet services have had on their finances. 

“There are really two different kinds of impact here,” Bar said. “One is to lower the cost of the internet for some people, and the other is to expand the audience that can get access to it.” 

Nearly 3 million households in California are enrolled in the ACP. In California’s 37th Congressional District, where USC is located, just over 100,000 households are enrolled — 35% of estimated households in the area.  

The internet is used for educational purposes for students of all ages and levels in school. USC’s Joint Educational Project partners with local schools and sends USC students to teach lessons to elementary school students. 

DJ Kast, director of JEP STEM Education Programs, said all students should have equal access to the technology and internet services that the ACP provides.

“Being able to support equity and access when it comes to technology is crucial,” Kast said. “There is a lack of technology that impacts communities of color and low-income communities disproportionately to others. Having these resources is helpful in working to try and have it be a more equitable system.” 

While some STEM Education Program lesson plans use workbooks and interactive lessons that don’t include technology, computers and the internet are still heavily incorporated into the STEM curriculum, whether students take classes online through Zoom or use Chromebooks for computer-based activities and research. 

“The more STEM the students are exposed to, especially with technology that the ACP could provide, the more likely they could continue to persist in K-12 and not be as discouraged,” Kast said. “We want more students like the ones that we are serving to get into STEM careers, and I think it’s necessary to keep programs like [the ACP] funded.”

Katie Kim — the president of Alpha Phi Omega, a service-based club through which USC students tutor children through young adults preparing for college — said some of the work students do requires technology, so access to internet services and computers is essential. 

“[Students] having their own laptops and internet can be helpful,” said Kim, a junior majoring in pharmacology and drug development. “Since many students are underserved, having this access can help students be on the same footing as other kids.” 

On Aug. 31, 2023, the California Department of Technology and the California Emerging Technology Fund completed the 2023 Statewide Digital Equity Survey, along with three professors from the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism: Bar, Hernan Galperin and Thai V. Le.

The survey found that while the income gap in broadband adoption has decreased, the broadband adoption with participants who have school-aged children has decreased below pre-pandemic levels. The study concluded that this is because the programs that supported connectivity and broadband adoption, like the ACP, have expired. 

“Having access to fast, efficient internet is an important part of education at all levels. It’s something that allows you to take classes online and learn from online teaching,” Bar said. “If you’re going to a normal classroom, that’s the way you get access to information, data and resources. It’s going to have a big impact on students in all kinds of ways with how they learn and how they’re able to follow their courses.”

The Lifeline Program is another FCC benefit program that discounts phone services for low-income households. But the program is primarily for phone services, not internet services, and the subsidy is $9.25 instead of $30. Lifeline can help low-income individuals and families who use the ACP. However, it is not ideal as it lowers the benefit these households can receive. 

“[Lifeline] is an alternative. Whether it’s reasonable or not is a question of appreciation. That subsidy is much lower,” Bar said. “The other option is that some of the internet companies proposed low-cost services, but nothing that is as universally accessible as the ACP.”