Men’s basketball set to host Arizona State

The Trojans enter their penultimate regular season game as victors of two of their last three.

By KASEY KAZLINER
Junior guard Kobe Johnson has scored in double figures in three of the last four games. He is also second in the Pac-12 in steals per game with 2.1. (Bryce Dechert / Daily Trojan)

At this point, USC is guaranteed to enter the Pac-12 men’s basketball tournament as a low seed, but with two games left on its regular season schedule, the Trojans will look to win out and climb the ladder the most they can. USC has been inconsistent, alternating wins and losses in its last six games dating back to Feb. 10. 

In the shadows of some of its superior Pac-12 counterparts, however, the Trojans (12-17, 6-12 Pac-12) have quietly played some winning basketball lately. Defeating streaky UCLA (14-15, 9-9), giving a strong fight and narrowly losing by three to then-No. 19 Washington State (23-7, 14-5) and defeating Washington (16-14, 8-11) on the road shows massive improvement compared to the rough stretches earlier this season. Nonetheless, USC is still in an extremely tough position, currently 11th in the Pac-12 and needing to win the conference’s tournament to advance to March Madness.

“As we’re going into the Pac-12 tournament, I feel like we’re coming together right now,” freshman guard Isaiah Collier said in an interview with the Daily Trojan. “It’s definitely great for us.”

The Trojans’ next test is Arizona State (14-15, 8-10). The Sun Devils defeated injury-ridden USC 82-67 back on Jan. 20, with Collier and fifth-year guard Boogie Ellis sidelined with injuries.

“The last couple minutes of the Washington game, Collier was terrific,” Head Coach Andy Enfield said. “He went in there and played off at two feet, he pivoted a couple of times … He’s worked on his game management as a lead guard.”

Collier is coming off a career-high 31-point performance against the Huskies. He was the game-changer in the Trojans’ win, scoring on four straight possessions in crunch time to give his team the slight edge. For his efforts, he took home his fourth Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honor. Collier made three 3-point shots against Washington, something he’s only done in two other games this season.

Ellis and graduate forward DJ Rodman each notched 17 points against the Huskies, but Rodman did so much more efficiently, only missing one of his seven shot attempts. He also sank the game-sealing free throws with just seconds left, giving USC a seven-point advantage. Both veterans will aim to replicate their success against the Sun Devils.

Junior guard Kobe Johnson was a force on the glass against Washington, grabbing a season-high nine rebounds. Last time out against ASU, Johnson scored 13 points in the losing effort. While he doesn’t usually post the scoring figures of those of Collier and Ellis, USC will hope for Johnson to contribute on the defensive end and on the boards.

“We don’t need [Johnson] to score,” Enfield said. “But if he does, as long as some other guys are picking the scoring up, he can just fill the stat sheet up defensively, rebounding and passing the ball.”

Arizona State, like USC, has had its fair share of losing streaks and embarrassing performances this season. The Sun Devils will enter Galen Center as losers of three of their last four, including a pain-inducing 45-point loss to rival No. 5 Arizona (23-6, 14-4).

Last time around, graduate guard Jose Perez led ASU with 20 points on 50% shooting. Perez has been hot lately, scoring at least 14 points in each of his last six outings. As the Sun Devils rely on their backcourt to produce most of their scoring, USC will have to sufficiently defend the perimeter to get the victory.

Junior guard Frankie Collins will be another Arizona State player to watch out for. In the prior matchup, Collins put on a defensive masterclass — pickpocketing the Trojans on six occasions while also tallying 17 points in the process.

Junior guard Jamiya Neal nearly recorded a double-double against USC, with nine rebounds and 17 points on 57% from the floor.

“We’re just trying to win, get through March, get to the tournament,” Ellis said.

Enfield, now the third-winningest head coach in USC history, will aim for victory No. 218 at the helm against the Sun Devils. USC will host Arizona State Thursday at 8 p.m. at Galen Center.