LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Justice requires smart decarceration

Rehabilitation and reentry are central to an equitable criminal justice system.

By GLORIA HIGUERA & NIDIA SANGUINO

Smart decarceration. What is this, and what does it entail? Grand Challenges for Social Work tells us that the goal is to formulate a proactive, thorough and evidence-driven “smart decarceration” strategy to significantly decrease the incarcerated population, fostering a more efficient and equitable approach to public safety nationwide. 

We can learn from successful models nationwide and implement policy reforms to promote smart decarceration. By investing in community services and fostering partnerships between governmental and nonprofit organizations, we can build a fair system for everyone. Let’s work together toward this goal.

Incarceration casts a perpetual shadow over an individual’s life, unleashing a relentless ripple effect of negative consequences that reverberate indefinitely. As a student who has experienced incarceration, I’ve witnessed firsthand the harsh realities of life behind bars. Inmates often endure inhumane living conditions, sleeping on dirty floors covered in human waste and vomit. 

Some individuals are incarcerated due to a lack of financial support. It’s crucial to establish and enhance systems to assist these individuals so they can avoid involvement in the criminal justice system. Black, Indigenous and people of color face numerous injustices, including disproportionate sentencing and high incarceration rates. 

According to the Public Policy Institute of California, “The imprisonment rate for [Black] American men is 4,236 per 100,000 people—ten times the imprisonment rate for white men, which is 422 per 100,000. For [Latine]men, the imprisonment rate is 1,016 per 100,000; for men of other races it is 314.” 

The overcrowding of correctional facilities in Los Angeles has inflicted devastating consequences on individuals, families and communities while also imposing a significant financial burden on taxpayers. Nevertheless, a solution exists: smart decarceration. 

By tackling the root causes of crime, reforming the justice system, and offering rehabilitation and reintegration support, we can assist individuals in successfully reintegrating into society and diminishing recidivism rates. Several programs — including Break It to Make It, Unchained Scholars, Rising Scholars, and California Reentry and Enrichment Grant Awards — have proven effective for formerly incarcerated individuals.

They provide vital resources to aid individuals in pursuing careers, combating injustices within the system, reintegrating into society and raising awareness. We must strive to establish a system that prioritizes rehabilitation and reintegration over perpetuating cycles of criminal behavior.

Our criminal justice system needs a significant change to become more equitable and serve the well-being of all its members. All odds against formally or currently incarcerated individuals have led many to believe that success in higher education or in their careers is unattainable. 

Los Rios Community College District shared their statistics, writing, “Approximately 70% of American prisoners return to prison, but that number reduces to 13.7% for those who have earned an associate degree, and even more so for those who obtain degrees beyond their [associate degree].” 

During my internship at Los Angeles Trade-Technical College as a Master of Social Work student at USC, I observed the positive impact of encouragement on these students. By inspiring and supporting them in pursuing their goals, we can break the cycle of poverty and mistrust that has plagued communities of color for too long. Let’s collaborate and strive for equality and success together.

Gloria Higuera & Nidia Sanguino

Dworak-Peck School of Social Work

Class of 2025