NOTE: the weekly-frame-cover-img-container Grid Row block is HIDDEN on mobile devices and only visible on desktop; while the first actual photo and caption (below the intro) are HIDDEN on desktop and only visible on mobile devices.

Tommy Trojan stands proud in Heritage Hall.
THE WEEKLY FRAME — WEEK 10

Victory/Defeat

Photos by MELISSA PAZ-FLORES & AVERY VAN HARTE

During my time at USC, I feel like the word victory has become synonymous with so many aspects of the school. I see it in the statues of Troy that represent both the fall and rise of an empire, the courts and fields that house our athletes, and of course the students who endured so much to get here. At this school, people grow from their defeats and learn to celebrate their triumphs in a way seldom found elsewhere.

Avery Van Harte

Staff photographer

Tommy Trojan stands proud in Heritage Hall. (Avery Van Harte / Daily Trojan)
NCAA accomplishments on display at Allyson Felix Field. (Avery Van Harte / Daily Trojan)
A family poses in front of Tommy. (Avery Van Harte / Daily Trojan)

As a transfer student, I have obtained two perspectives on the college experience. Over the past week, I took the opportunity to step out of my normal routine and simply sit and observe the community around me to encapsulate our theme. As I watched students hurry across the quad to make it to their next class, I couldn’t help but notice some smiling faces as they walked past the Carrot Man or tour groups of newly admitted Trojans. Our small, individual wins faced during the day amount to a victorious, fighting student body.

Melissa Paz-Flores

Staff photographer
People peopling in front of Tommy Trojan. (Melissa Paz-Flores / Daily Trojan)
Carrot Guy, a campus celebrity, makes an appearance with his “Daily Dig.” (Melissa Paz-Flores / Daily Trojan)
Students rushing through campus. (Melissa Paz-Flores / Daily Trojan)