Daily Trojan Magazine

Love unleashed: USC’s ‘Heaven or Hell’ sparks new dating adventures

The Chinese Graduate Student Association adapted “Single’s Inferno” – a popular South Korean dating show – into a new kind of dating event for students this Valentine’s Day. 

By YINGYING YUAN
(Yingying Yuan / Daily Trojan)

​Imagine stepping onto “Hell Island” — not as ominous as it sounds, but the thrilling start to an unconventional Valentine’s Day event designed by the USC Chinese Graduate Student Association. Picture groups of students, previously strangers, laughing and competing in ice-breaker games, drawing lines on a blank canvas that slowly morph into a collaborative piece of art. This isn’t just a game; it’s the beginning of “Heaven or Hell,” a bold experiment in experiential dating set against the backdrop of USC’s evolving romantic scene.

“In South Korea and China, reality TV shows about dating and relationships are really booming,” said Gaspard Wu, one of the CGSA event designers and a graduate student at USC Sol Price School of Public Policy . “We want people to connect, to get to know people they didn’t know before. And maybe there can be chemistry or romance beginning in our event — that’s what we want.”

Another member, Zelong Wang, a graduate student majoring in Computer Science, shared: “This organization just tries to create a community for not only graduate students but also undergrad, mostly Chinese students so that we can gather together and [get to] know each other and have fun.”

The “Heaven or Hell” event served as a quintessential example of experiential dating, a concept that seeks to redefine traditional meet-ups by emphasizing shared activities and emotional engagement. Unlike traditional dating, which often revolves around static interactions like dinner or a movie night, experiential dating immerses participants in activities that foster deeper connections through adventure, challenge and mutual discovery. Through a series of themed challenges and cooperative games, participants were encouraged to connect in ways that go beyond mere conversation. The activities were designed to break down barriers, allowing participants to engage with each other on a more meaningful level.

In that spirit, members of the CGSA embarked on an ambitious experiment to reimagine college dating. Drawing inspiration from the emotional depth and authentic relationships showcased in Korean TV shows like “Single’s Inferno,” they encouraged participants to reveal their true selves and form genuine connections based on mutual respect and shared experiences. Moments in “Single’s Inferno,” where contestants navigate their feelings and attractions without the distractions of the outside world deeply influenced the structure of “Heaven or Hell.” This event, held on February 16, aimed not just to create matches but to foster memorable interactions through shared challenges and emotional vulnerability, offering a fresh perspective on dating to 40 adventurous students. 

The journey began with an encounter step on “Hell Island,” where participants embarked on a series of ice-breaker games intended to dissolve initial hesitations. In this phase, individuals were ranked based on the points their teams accumulated through each game, establishing a competitive yet friendly environment that encouraged interaction and teamwork from the start. This ranking then determined the sequence in which participants proceed to the next phase of the event. These games were ingeniously designed to dissolve the initial awkwardness that often accompanies new introductions. Participants, in groups of four — comprising two men and two women — engaged in a unique collaborative challenge. Each member contributed to creating an art piece by drawing a line on a white paper, working together without prior acquaintance. This simple yet profound activity served as a metaphor for the building of connections, demanding cooperation, creativity and communication from each participant. Here, amidst laughter and playful competition, bonds began to form. One of the participants, Ying Liu, a master’s student studying business administration, captured the essence of the experience.

“The concept is we start at the Hell Island, and we want to get out from that place and find a partner that will help you get to Paradise Island,” Liu said. 

As the adventure unfolded, these intrepid explorers chose their path through themed rooms, each a test of love’s many facets: sacrifice, persistence, reservation and the ultimate commitment. 

At the next step, Getting to Know Each Other, CGSA’s event directors orchestrated a dating tea party, designed to foster connections deeper than the superficial encounters often found in the quest for companionship. Here, previously ranked participants who had earned high rankings from earlier games were awarded special ‘Buff’ rewards, granting them exclusive privileges within the event. These privileges included the ability to use unique props as a means of secretly conveying interest or appreciation towards someone they were drawn to.

Privileged participants could also get a pen and paper to write a secret letter to another person they admire. They wrote down some questions or words of praise, weaving their curiosity and admiration into the text. These letters, imbued with sincerity and a dash of vulnerability, were then delivered anonymously, adding an element of mystery and excitement. Recipients of these letters found themselves holding not just a piece of paper, but a mirror to someone else’s affection, albeit without knowing whose heart spoke to them.

This intimate communication served as a bridge for shy individuals to courageously unveil their innermost thoughts and feelings. This phenomenon was particularly evident in the context of group experiential dating, where the challenge of initiating emotional expression was a formidable barrier for some. A notable number of participants found themselves at a crossroads, unsure of how to navigate the delicate process of opening up in such a setting. This hesitation often led to missed opportunities, a poignant reminder of the delicate dance between vulnerability and connection. Liu felt as through it mirrored his own experiences outside of the event.

“I was born and raised in China … in China, people are very shy and when it comes to dating, you tend to ask friends or other people for help. Some people are just more introverted than others. And then, compared to American-style dating, it’s more like, you see someone you know and you’re interested in me, hang out and then introduce yourself and get their number.” Liu said.

After that, there were the sports sessions, a testament to teamwork and mutual understanding, where activities like double dribbling and three-legged races mirrored the dance of developing relationships. 

The climax, a talent show followed by the ultimate match, was the final testament to the depth and variety of the connections made. These talent shows were not just a display of skill but an expression of the soul, leading to matches that heralded the start of journeys to ‘Paradise Island’ — a place of triumph, celebration and potentially, lasting love.

CARTOON: AMELIA NEILSON-SLABACH / DAILY TROJAN)

Redefining Romance at USC through Experiential Dating

The event’s ice-breaking games on Hell Island and the subsequent journey to Paradise Island through various themed rooms offered participants a unique avenue to explore different dimensions of love and compatibility. The design of these activities — ranging from solving puzzles together to sharing personal stories in a more intimate setting — mirrored the dynamics of building relationships in real life, where understanding, teamwork and shared experiences lay the foundation for a deeper connection.

Moreover, this event catered to a wide range of personalities.

As Ying Liu pointed out, “The benefit of this experimental dating event, it’s like, you don’t have to be an extrovert, you can also be an introvert because they have the events and the games all set up for you.” 

​This is where the strength of experiential dating lies in its ability to create more meaningful and memorable encounters. By engaging in activities together, individuals can reveal their true selves in a more natural and relaxed environment. This is particularly beneficial for those who may not excel in traditional dating scenarios, where the pressure to make an immediate impression can be daunting. Experiential dating levels the playing field, allowing for genuine bonding over shared laughter, challenges overcome and the joy of discovery.​

Shared Adventures and New Bonds in USC’s Experiential Dating Scene

​In USC’s evolving dating landscape, the experiential dating culture has carved out a significant niche that resonates strongly with the student population. This modern approach to romance, highlighted by the “Heaven or Hell” event, is increasingly popular as a means to foster deeper connections and confidence among participants. 

Gaspard sees it as “an opportunity to get to know people and to make people feel braver and feel more confident when making new friends.” 

This sentiment is echoed by Wang, who notes the difficulty of meeting diverse individuals within the confines of academic schedules and disciplines. He pointed out “In college, if people are not attending student organizations, if [they’re only] attending lectures, it’s hard to know different people, especially from different majors. So I think this activity created a space, created an environment for students to know different people out of their social space.”

Much of the popularity of experiential dating among young people, can be attributed to its alignment with the values and preferences of this generation. Today’s young adults seek more than surface connections; they crave authentic experiences that foster genuine emotional bonds. Experiential dating, with its emphasis on shared activities and adventures, perfectly caters to this desire. It transforms dating from a mere exchange of information into a memorable journey of discovery that allows individuals to connect on a deeper level.

Amidst this backdrop of shared adventures, it’s the voices of USC students themselves that illuminate the true impact of experiential dating on campus life. Such events provide a vibrant platform for young people to express themselves, share their passions, and engage with peers in settings that are both fun and conducive to forming lasting relationships. 

For those interested in joining future experiential dating events, Ying Liu offers practical advice: “I would just encourage people who are curious or want to give it a try to step out of their comfort zone, you can also encourage your friends, encourage single friends around you.” 

This approach not only demystifies the experience but also encourages broader participation, making such events a culture within USC’s social network.

As experiential dating continues to gain popularity at USC and beyond, it reflects a larger cultural movement toward seeking authentic, meaningful connections. This trend offers a refreshing counterpoint to the impersonal nature of digital dating, emphasizing personal growth, community, and the joy of shared experiences. 

However, embracing the energy of experiential dating also invites a candid examination of its challenges and criticisms. One question that arises is how to ensure inclusivity for all participants, regardless of their social confidence levels or physical abilities. Additionally, the sustainability of such events — both in terms of environmental impact and organizational resources — deserves careful consideration. 

Addressing these challenges head-on not only strengthens the foundation of experiential dating but also ensures that it can be an enduring and enriching part of USC’s social fabric. By fostering open dialogue and seeking innovative solutions, the USC community can navigate these complexities and ensure that experiential dating remains a beloved tradition for years to come.​