L.A. ON ICE

The California Ice Cowboy

Chase De Leo’s unique hockey journey endears him to fellow Southern Californians.

By ETHAN INMAN

A lesson this column has taught time and time again is you have to be a little bit unconventional to live in sunny California and decide you want to become a professional hockey player. 

Chase De Leo is the kind of hockey player who exemplifies this best. 

Hailing from La Mirada, California, De Leo’s unique upbringing was key to the attitude that fueled his professional career. 

De Leo grew up on a one-and-a-half-acre farm with over 30 animals. His parents, John and Jamie, own a wholesale plumbing supply company in town. In an area filled with people pursuing fame and fortune, De Leo’s upbringing was as blue-collar as you could imagine. 

One of De Leo’s best friends growing up was his family’s donkey, Hansel. Hansel — now 30 years old — is older than De Leo himself, who is 28. 

If you think that’s the most bizarre thing you’ll hear about De Leo’s upbringing, think again. De Leo’s journey to playing hockey was also quite peculiar. He started out playing baseball as a kid, until his mom couldn’t stand it anymore because she thought the sport was too boring. 

So, at the recommendation of a neighbor, De Leo tried out hockey. He grew up going to Anaheim Ducks games but his family had no other background in the game.

He began his career as a goalie until his mother thought that was boring, too, resulting in a switch to forward. 

When he found a home at the forward position and excelled, his parents supported his hockey career with a fervor few parents can match. De Leo has said his mother almost got arrested since he missed so many days of school to fly all around the country, playing in tournaments for the Los Angeles Jr. Kings and the Los Angeles Selects. 

When he was just 15 — with the support of his family — De Leo bet on himself and began a junior career in the Western Hockey League for the Portland Winterhawks, making him the youngest player on the team during his rookie season. 

Having four whole seasons in the WHL benefited De Leo’s career as he registered 251 points in 279 regular season games. His consistent improvement and high output over those four seasons earned him recognition from the Winnipeg Jets, who drafted him in the fourth round of the 2014 NHL entry draft. 

De Leo’s career since then has been mostly in the American Hockey League, which is the NHL’s developmental minor league. He’s played in the Winnipeg Jets, Anaheim Ducks and New Jersey Devils organizations across nine NHL seasons, and has appeared in seven total NHL games over those nine years. 

However, De Leo has found a real home in the Ducks’ organization. This is fitting because it means De Leo has been able to give back to the organization that gave him so many good memories and so much inspiration as a kid growing up in Southern California.  

De Leo is currently in his second tenure with the Ducks and plays for their AHL team, the San Diego Gulls. He’s a fan favorite in San Diego and has poured his heart into leading the Gulls, earning him a role as the captain of the team as well as a lot of love back from the fan base. The Gulls even made a bobblehead of De Leo and Hansel the donkey to give away at their country-themed night. 

As the Ducks continue a rebuild where their future is contingent on developing young talent, De Leo’s peer leadership is going to play a large role in the development of all of their talented prospects. Perhaps it will finally earn him a more consistent role in the NHL with the Ducks. 

But, even if De Leo is destined to remain in San Diego for the rest of his career, his hard work on behalf of Southern California hockey won’t soon be forgotten alongside his unique and endearing personality. 

Legends like the California Ice Cowboy are the kind that never die.  

Ethan Inman is a junior writing about Los Angeles’ unique hockey heroes in his column, “L.A. on Ice,” which runs every other Wednesday.