Carson Pickett is an inspiration on and off the pitch

The Racing Louisville defender is inspiring athletes and kids with limb differences.

By JOSHUA SACHER
Carson Pickett is an elite defender in the NWSL as well as strong limb difference advocate. Before turning pro, she led Florida State to its first College Cup when she fronted a defense that allowed zero goals throughout the tournament. (Jamie Smed / Wikimedia Commons)

We use our arms and hands for virtually everything: using our phones, tying our shoes, carrying groceries and more. As many athletes know, arms and hands are also essential for playing sports. But what if I told you that is not necessarily true?

On June 28, 2022, Carson Pickett made history. During a friendly match against Colombia, she became the first soccer player with a limb difference to play for the United States Women’s National Team. 

I know what some of you might be thinking: How does the fact that she has a limb difference in her upper body affect her in a game played with your feet? Well, when sprinting — something soccer players have to do often during a match — arms are crucial for generating linear and angular motion.

Pickett, — who was raised in Orange Park, Florida, faced several difficulties on her path to becoming a professional soccer player. Due to a congenital abnormality at birth known as symbrachydactyly, her left arm was shorter than her right, and she was also left without a completely developed hand. But Pickett never allowed her physical differences to get in the way of her love for the game.

Her early soccer prowess took her to St. Johns Country Day School, where, in 2012, she was awarded the Gatorade Florida Girls Soccer Player of the Year.  She then went on  to play for Florida State University, where she led the Seminoles to their first NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship. 

Following her time in college, Pickett was drafted as the fourth overall pick in the 2016 National Women’s Soccer League draft by Seattle Reign. Following her trade to the Orlando Pride in 2018, she played in 19 games — 16 of which she started. Then, in 2021, she was traded to the North Carolina Courage, where her play earned her a nomination for the 2021 NWSL Defender of the Year Award and a berth on the 2021 Best XI team. Now, the 30-year-old defender is a part of Racing Louisville.

From an international standpoint — along with making two appearances for the USWNT — Pickett has played for the U.S. national teams at the under-17 and under-23 levels.

However, like every other athlete featured in this column, it is her activism off the pitch that separates her from the rest and makes her a national treasure. Pickett has proven she is dedicated to promoting inclusivity, equality and having a beneficial social influence. Her main concern is the underrepresentation of people with disabilities. She is adamant about the value of removing boundaries in sports and society as a whole and inspiring kids to follow their dreams.

In 2020, Pickett collaborated with Nike to develop the Phantom GT Academy FlyEase, one of the most accessible soccer cleats on the planet. The most recent data-driven technology was used in creating the boot, including a wrap-around strap closing in place of laces and a fold-down heel for simple access. This made it accessible for young athletes like Pickett who have a limb difference and can’t tie the laces on their cleats.

“Ever since I got to the pros and seeing how many amazing messages I get sent about how I inspire people, some who aren’t even soccer players,” Pickett said in a 2020 interview with CBS Sports. “[Seeing that] just showed me that I can do so much more than just be a good soccer player and that I could advocate for something much bigger than soccer.”

In addition, Pickett was thrust into the public eye after a post-game picture of her and 2-year-old Joseph Tidd went viral. Pickett raced to the stands after her Orlando Pride’s victory over Sky Blue to meet her biggest fan, who was also born without a left forearm or hand. Colleen Tidd — Joseph’s mother — took a heartwarming picture of the two “fist bumping,” which received over 10,000 likes on Instagram, inspiring all kids born with a limb difference.

In a following Instagram post, she explained that even though she is confident, she is aware there are a lot of people who don’t feel the same when it comes to showing their limb difference. Furthermore, she sympathized with fans about the anxiousness of not fitting in. 

Pickett is also very active in charity work that has the goal of improving both her community and the world. For instance, she started a Kick Cancer fundraising campaign this past year with her Racing Louisville star teammate Katie Lund. The two aimed to collect money for Norton Children’s Addison Jo Blair Cancer Care Center, which serves as Norton Children’s Cancer Institute’s inpatient unit.

Pickett is unwavering in her dedication to social justice as her soccer career soars. She is aware of the responsibility that comes with having influence and welcomes the chance to support worthy causes. Overall, she is a great leader on and off the pitch. 

After reading this — whether you are an athlete or not — I want you to walk away with two things: Don’t take your limbs for granted, and don’t take inspirations like Carson Pickett for granted.

Joshua Sacher is a sophomore writing about athletes who led the change for social justice in his column, “More Than An Athlete,” which runs every other Thursday. He is also a sports editor at the Daily Trojan.