Andy Enfield’s departure from USC set off coaching carousel

Enfield’s exit prompted Eric Musselman’s hire and a chain of coaching changes.

By ADAM FREIBERG
Former men’s basketball Head Coach Andy Enfield left USC for SMU, setting off one of the wilder coaching carousels in recent history. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)

When Andy Enfield announced his move from USC to Southern Methodist University, nobody could have predicted his decision’s wider impact on the college basketball landscape. The April 1 move set off a wildfire of high-profile coaching moves in what has become the busiest offseason coaching cycle in years. This domino effect reached “blue blood” programs and Hall of Fame coaches. Let’s dive into where it all began. 

On March 21, SMU basketball fired Head Coach Rob Lanier after two seasons. Seeking a fresh start ahead of joining the ACC, the Mustangs searched for an experienced new leader. They found their guy in Enfield, who was willing to make a lateral — at best — move with his seat at USC scorching hot. 

Prior to Enfield’s exit, the Trojans had stumbled to a 15-18, 8-12 Pac-12 record in a season that began with massive expectations. The USC roster was highlighted by a trio of star guards: graduate Boogie Ellis, coming off an 18-points-per-game season; freshman Isaiah Collier, the No. 1 overall recruit according to ESPN; and freshman Bronny James, a top-20 recruit by ESPN. Despite the star-studded lineup, USC fell short of even sniffing a berth to the Big Dance, pushing Enfield’s job security to the brink. 

Enfield was likely to be retained one more year due to his hefty buyout and contract lasting through the 2027-28 season, but SMU offered the perfect out for all parties involved. Enfield got a new contract and a clean slate, and USC did not have to pay a large buyout to dispose of his contract. 

Athletic Director Jen Cohen responded to the move by going big-fish hunting in her first major hire since being brought to USC last August. Cohen found her guy at Arkansas in Head Coach Eric Musselman. With two Elite Eight appearances and another Sweet 16 berth in five seasons with the Razorbacks, Musselman checked all the boxes of bona fide tournament success. The eccentric coach will bring his unique coaching style and knack for recruiting as the Trojans ready to join the Big Ten conference. 

After Musselman’s hiring at USC became official April 4, Arkansas began its search for a new coach. Hall of Fame Head Coach John Calipari disappointed in recent tournaments at the University of Kentucky, highlighted by major upsets against No. 15-seeded Saint Peter’s University in 2022 and No. 14-seeded Oakland University in 2024. Calipari met with big University of Arkansas donors at the Final Four and agreed to become the Razorbacks’ next head coach. 

This was the crescendo of a stunning turn of events. Calipari was presumably a permanent figure at Kentucky with a lifetime contract and national championship resume. However, his relationship with Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart had deteriorated in recent years, and he jumped ship. The Wildcats, much like the Trojans, lucked out avoiding a monster buyout of $33 million with Calipari leaving on his own terms. 

Enter one of the most passionate fanbases in college basketball to this wild coaching carousel. The Kentucky Wildcats set out on a coaching search for the first time in 15 years, and their fanbase wanted them to shoot for the stars. Two-time reigning national champion Head Coach Dan Hurley from UConn turned them down, and others like Chicago Bulls Head Coach Billy Donovan and Baylor Head Coach Scott Drew soon followed. 

Kentucky settled on alumnus Mark Pope to lead the program. He won the 1996 national championship as a player at the school and was most recently the lead man at Brigham Young University. However, he has never won an NCAA Tournament game in nine seasons as a head coach. The fanbase initially loathed the hire but came around last weekend, as over 20,000 fans assembled at Rupp Arena for the introductory press conference. 

Three weeks ago, nobody would have thought Andy Enfield’s move out of Galen Center would send such unprecedented shockwaves across college basketball. But it did, and USC helped kickstart one of the wildest coaching carousels in recent memory.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.