Trojans look to future of USC sustainability at town hall

Panelists told students to vote with their wallets to promote green businesses.

By CALEB KIM
Associate Director of Sustainability Ellen Dux said one way to increase awareness is to integrate sustainability into existing classes. (Britney Zhou / Daily Trojan)

Students and faculty gathered at the USC Sustainability Hub on Thursday afternoon to discuss the current state and future of the University’s sustainability efforts. The Student Sustainability Committee, in partnership with the Environmental Student Assembly, hosted the Sustainability Town Hall and elicited students to ask a panel of sustainability experts questions. 

This year marks the first time the sustainability town hall was hosted in the new Sustainability Hub, which opened last September. Located on the first floor of the Student Union, the sustainability hub serves as a multi-use gathering space for the USC community to collaborate around sustainability solutions and is a part of the University’s Assignment: Earth framework. 

The four panelists this year were Chief Sustainability Officer Mick Dalrymple, Associate Director of Sustainability Ellen Dux, associate professor of environmental studies Jill Sohm, and Civic Engagement and Economic Partnerships Vice President Effie Sanders. Cheska Pangilinan — a senior majoring in environmental studies — and Jon-Marc Burgess — a sophomore majoring in biological sciences — moderated the conversation and encouraged students to participate. 

In a video recording, President Carol Folt provided introductory remarks and addressed the University’s progress on its sustainability goals. Of the 27 goals established in USC’s sustainability framework, Folt highlighted goals to be climate neutral by 2025, zero waste by 2028, adding 10 sustainability courses each year and doubling university sustainability research by 2028.

Assignment: Earth is the University’s sustainability framework to promote more environmentally conscious living and keep track of its sustainability initiatives.

A key topic of conversation centered around measures, strategies and tactics the University could utilize to increase accessibility and exposure to ongoing sustainability efforts among the student body. Dux identified increased social media presence, a new website and a Slack channel, the “Supdate,” as tools the University has been using to reach out to a wider audience. 

Dux said two ways to increase awareness are to integrate sustainability into existing classes and increase the number of sustainability-focused courses the University offers. 

“Our aspiration is that every student is getting sustainability in their curriculum,” Dux said. “The more we can encourage faculty to incorporate sustainability in their classes, the more we can increase the chance that a student is going to experience that type of education.”

Dux and Dalrymple also spoke extensively about the power students have to push for greater sustainability efforts to the administration and campus groups. They hope that, through student advocacy, the sustainability training tool their teams have built becomes a required virtual educational module incoming freshmen must complete.

“I’ve been involved in lots of different movements, and to get something done, it helps to have top-down leadership and bottom-up grassroots support,” Dalrymple said.

Dux said the training module focuses on teaching students about climate change and biodiversity loss in addition to giving practical advice on ways to make a difference and live as sustainable citizens. 

The panelists spoke on the significance of consumer spending habits in driving sustainability initiatives forward, especially within a capitalist economy. 

“Do not ever underestimate the power of your vote with your wallet. So vote your values, support what you think is important,” Dalrymple said.

Sanders said everyone should shop locally and support environmentally conscious businesses around campus. She acknowledged the purchasing power that USC, with a student population of nearly 40,000, has in uplifting and supporting sustainable businesses.