ended

FOOTBALL — 2024-25

USC Spring Game — as it happened

Last updated: 3:59 p.m.
  • (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)
📌 PINNED
Leila MacKenzie & Kasey Kazliner from Los Angeles; photos by Jordan Renville

A Spring sneak peek of the newfangled Trojan roster.

College football’s most classic rivalry — Cardinal vs. Gold — is back at the Coliseum. Without Caleb Williams under center, the scrimmage kicks off phase two of the Lincoln Riley era.

We’re reporting live from the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Refresh to see new updates.

What to know:

• USC has a new defensive coordinator in D’Anton Lynn.
  • 10 total transfers are on the current roster.
  • Redshirt junior Miller Moss and UNLV transfer Jayden Maiava headline the quarterback competition.
  • This is the final game for USC as part of the Pac-12 conference.

FINAL SCORE: Defense – 43  Offense – 28

The game at a glance:

• Quarterbacks Maiava, Moss and Jensen have thrown interceptions.
  • USC’s offense has started slow; the defense has appeared polished.
  • At the end of the first half, the Trojans scored two offensive touchdowns. The first came from Maiva when he connected with Makai Lemon for a 17-yard score. The second was a quick 4-yard Bryan Jackson rush.
  • Jensen and Jackson teamed up for two scores.
  • Maiava notched a scoring drive as time expired.
1:39 p.m.

FINAL: Defense 43, offense 28. In a tale of two halves, D’Anton Lynn’s crew stands tall and delivers against Lincoln Riley’s bunch.  

1:35 p.m.

Maiava hoisted up a pass along the sideline and Tufts transfer wide receiver Jaden Richardson brought it in just inches before the ball graced the turf. The completion was good for 27 yards and the offense currently faces 2nd and goal at the 6-yard line. 

1:28 p.m.

TURNOVER DEFENSE.

The defense has found another way to put points on the board. Jackson was handed the ball on the drive following his second score and lost it on the carry. Defensive end Garrett Pomerantz recovered the fumble to put the defense on top 43-21. Maiava is back under center.

1:28 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN OFFENSE.

Bryan Jackson acquired his second touchdown of the afternoon after Jensen lofted up a short 3-yard lob just outside the endzone. Only two minutes remain in the game and Jensen is the only quarterback with multiple scores.

1:10 p.m.

There’s a pretty play. Maiava dumps a short pass to Robinson on a slant and Robinson takes the ball 24 yards for a first down at midfield.

1:07 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN DEFENSE.

Oh boy, these are the moments when fans miss having a Heisman-winning quarterback. Moss threw his second interception of the afternoon to cornerback Prophet Brown who took the pick 104 yards to the opposite endzone for a touchdown. The defense leads, 40-14.

1:04 p.m.

After a series of short gains on six plays, Moss and the offense are chilling in the red zone as the Trojans enter their first time out of the half.

12:48 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN OFFENSE.

Freshman running back Bryan Jackson finished off the drive with a short 4-yard rush for the score. 

12:44 p.m.

Jensen found wide receiver Josiah Zamora — one of four upperclassmen receivers on the Trojans’ roster — in the middle of the field for 36 yards. The pass was a tad overthrown, so Zamora was unable to extend the play into the endzone.

12:37 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN OFFENSE.

Wide receiver Makai Lemon, who changed his jersey to No. 6, snagged a fade ball from Maiava to finally put the offense on the board. Placekicker Denis Lynch nails the point after, and it’s 33-7 in favor of the defense.

12:34 p.m.

After fumbling with the snap, Maiava launched a pass to wide receiver Duce Robinson in the endzone. Robinson nearly pinned the ball to the back of the defender but was unable to complete the catch.

12:29 p.m.

Third-string quarterback Jake Jensen threw the Trojans’ third interception of the afternoon. The score is 33-0 in favor of the defense.

12:20 p.m.

First by Mississippi State transfer cornerback DeCarlos Nicholson then by freshman cornerback Marcelles Williams, Maiava and Miller threw picks on back-to-back passes.

12:18 p.m.

Wide receiver Ja’Kobi Lane, who changed his jersey to No. 8, made a sweet one-handed grab from Maiava. Lane will aim for a breakout sophomore season after an electric Holiday Bowl.

12:16 p.m.

Following a punt, UNLV transfer quarterback Jayden Maiava takes the field for the first time, while Moss sits.

12:11 p.m.

Two early catches for Mississippi State transfer running back Woody Marks. Quarterback Miller Moss is utilizing the short game to push the drive.

12:08 p.m.

Both the offense (red) and defense (white) have taken the field. Wide receiver Zachariah Branch is set to return the opening kickoff.

10:22 p.m.

The final Pac-12 edition of the USC Spring Game will have the following format.

Defense starts with 24 points:

• 3 points for a turnover
  • 3 points for 4th down stops
  • 3 points for missed field goals
  • 7 points for defensive TDs
  • 7 points for safeties

Offense starts with 0 points:

• 3 points for field goals
  • 6 points for TDs + 1 points for PAT