NOTE: the weekly-frame-cover-img-container Grid Row block is HIDDEN on mobile devices and only visible on desktop; while the first actual photo and caption (below the intro) are HIDDEN on desktop and only visible on mobile devices.

On the Metro. (Zongyi Wang / Daily Trojan)
THE WEEKLY FRAME — WEEK 13

Fisheye

Photos by JORDAN RENVILLE & ZONGYI WANG

My experience shooting this week’s Weekly Frame was different from my usual process. Instead of going out and allowing the random things I come across to inform my photos, the picture of the metro bus was semi-deliberate and inspired by the hallway fight scene in “Inception” (2010), believe it or not. For those wondering how I got the photo to look like this, it’s all about the lens. In fact, the lens I used is not exactly made for the type of camera I have. That’s why the picture ends up picking up those vignettes or outer black shadows.

Zongyi Wang

Staff Photographer

Taking photos in a medium that inherently widens and distorts your final image is a unique challenge. Trying to come up with compositions that play well with the curvature of the frame while also capturing an image that is coherent and purposeful throughout forces you to put extra thought into each picture. Whether it was climbing the stairs of Webb Tower or waiting for the perfect square of light to illuminate a path, I had to be very intentional the entire time I was shooting.

Jordan Renville

Photo Editor
Squares of light. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)
Mid jump. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)
Study break at the Physical Education Building. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)
Look up. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)
Campus from a fisheye view. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)