Spring football game showcases rising stars

The defense capitalized on the offense’s miscues to take a sound victory. 

By KASEY KAZLINER
Running back Quinten Joyner recorded one carry for 16 yards Saturday afternoon. He is projected to receive more touches during the regular season. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)

The 2024 annual USC spring game may not have featured a Heisman Trophy presentation or added five-star talent, but it did display a variety of things for fans to be excited about. The post-Caleb Williams era of Head Coach Lincoln Riley’s captaincy is officially underway.

The biggest unchecked box following last season’s end was the defense, which struggled immensely in 2023. However, on Saturday, the defense stole the show, intercepting the offense four times and winning the exhibition match with ease.

Considering the defense was without junior defensive lineman Bear Alexander, who’s rehabbing a hamstring injury, senior cornerback Jaylin Smith and incoming UCLA transfer cornerback John Humphrey made the squad’s effort all the more impressive.

“The players are really buying in and stepping up and playing for one another,” said cornerback Prophet Brown postgame. “We’re being put in position to make these plays and have the freedom to go out there and play fast and that’s really important, especially in the secondary.”

A mix of veterans and youngsters came together to show the progress defensive coordinator D’Anton Lynn and company have been creating. Newcomers like freshman cornerback Marcelles Williams and Mississippi State transfer cornerback DeCarlos Nicholson attested to the coaching staff’s advancement in making the defense more serviceable; both recorded interceptions and fit right into the new scheme.

Suffering the departures of both wide receivers Brenden Rice and Tahj Washington to the NFL draft, the offense saw a handful of second-year wideouts take snaps in the game. 

Sophomore wide receiver Makai Lemon, who didn’t receive many targets in 2023, built off his strong Holiday Bowl performance and led the spring game in receiving yards with 52. He also scored a touchdown and was perfect when targeted.

Wide receivers Ja’Kobi Lane, Zachariah Branch and Duce Robinson, who are all also set for their sophomore seasons, each tallied multiple grabs and will fight for playing time given the position’s depth. Highly touted incoming freshman wideout recruit Xavier Jordan also appeared in the game and made four catches for 39 yards. 

“We’ve just got to play as one unit … not just as receivers but as an offense,” Branch said. “[We are] just trying to get that chemistry with each other, learn from each other every day.”

Caleb Williams’ exit left quarterback Miller Moss as the projected starter for USC, but when UNLV transfer Jayden Maiava enrolled in January, it spiced up the quarterback room a bit, as fans could only speculate who would get the opening-day nod. Both quarterbacks had shaky moments in the spring game, but also had flashes of success.

“We’re in a position right now where we don’t have to decide a starter,” Riley said. “But if we played today, it would certainly be Miller. I mean, that’s obviously no surprise with the number of snaps he’s had in the system.”

Another position that has been left up for grabs is at the tailback. Running backs MarShawn Lloyd and Austin Jones were the bonafide options last season, but both moved on from college football as soon as the offseason came around. In the spring game, Riley used a variety of players at the position, but freshman running back A’Marion Peterson, who redshirted last season, appeared the most polished, leading the team with 41 yards and a touchdown.

Sept. 1 might feel far in the future for some, but for the USC football team, it couldn’t come sooner. Riley and his staff will still have plenty of decisions to be finalized, but the spring game was a good indication of which players could stand out when the regular season rolls around.

“We know it’s a lot more work to be done,” said defensive end Jamil Muhammad. “It’s almost like today wasn’t good enough because it’s like we’re hungry, we’re hungry for more … So, definitely be ready for that.”

The Trojans’ 15 spring practices have officially come to a close, but they’ll return soon to prepare for their debut season in the Big Ten in what will be a transition year for a variety of positions.