Caleb Williams selected No. 1 overall by the Chicago Bears

The Heisman winner will embark on his next chapter in the Windy City.

By ANDREW NGUYEN
Former quarterback Caleb Williams is the sixth Trojan to be picked No. 1 overall, making USC football the program with the most first picks of any university. (Brooks Taylor / Daily Trojan)

With the first pick of the 2024 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears selected USC quarterback and 2022 Heisman Trophy winner Caleb Williams Thursday afternoon. 

The new face of the Windy City made a fashion statement in a navy-colored, double-breasted zip-up suit custom-made by Chrome Hearts. After embracing his family, the charged-up Williams made his energy and excitement known walking on the stage, ready to continue his football journey.  

When asked about his next goals as a Bears player, “Learn all my teammates’ names, their families, learn the playbook, and get ready to go win games,” Williams said in an interview with ESPN’s Molly McGrath. 

Williams is the sixth player from the Trojans to be chosen No. 1 overall — the most by any collegiate football program —  joining the ranks of football legends such as Carson Palmer, Keyshawn Johnson and Ricky Bell. If Williams’ name wasn’t already cemented in USC history, this achievement surely does the trick.

Williams, a native of Washington, D.C., was a 5-star recruit out of high school and he began his collegiate career at Oklahoma in 2021 under Head Coach Lincoln Riley. Initially, he was the backup behind projected fourth-round pick Spencer Rattler. 

Six games into his freshman season, Williams got his shot against then-ranked No. 21 Texas (5-7, 3-6 Big 12). That game, the Longhorns scored 28 points in the first quarter, and Riley needed a fresh face to match Texas’ offensive production. Williams delivered, throwing 16-25 for 212 yards and two touchdowns, alongside 88 rushing yards and a touchdown on the ground. Williams survived the upset bid 55-48 and remained the starter for the rest of the season for the Sooners.  

The following season, Riley left Oklahoma to advance his legacy in Southern California, and he brought Williams with him.  

From his first start in cardinal and gold, Williams sparked life into the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum which had yet to exist since the Pete Carroll era. Williams’ 2022 tour featured an unforgettable Heisman run that rendered many a defense oblivious — all they could do was watch Williams’ magic at work. With 4,537 passing yards, 382 rushing yards, 52 total touchdowns and just five interceptions, Williams led the nation in passing touchdowns and finished third for passing yards and fifth in passing efficiency. The Trojans finished the year 11-3 overall and 8-1 in Pac-12 play after going an abysmal 4-8, 3-6 in 2021. To cap off the season, Williams became the eighth Heisman Trophy winner in school history, making USC football the leading program in Heisman Trophy winners.

In 2023, Williams picked up right where he left off; at the beginning of the season, he was back in the Heisman running. Although he fell short of acquiring the achievement twice, he still decorated the stat sheet with 3,633 passing yards, 41 total touchdowns and only five interceptions. Williams also led the nation with a 93.4 clean-pocket grade. 

Plagued with the No. 123 defense in the Football Bowl Subdivision, in terms of total points and yards allowed, Williams’ talent has been considered wasted as USC finished the year 8-5, 5-4 Pac-12. 

The Bears this offseason revamped their offense, trading away 2021 first-round quarterback Justin Fields and adding the likes of six-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Keenan Allen and running back D’Andre Swift. Chicago retains D.J. Moore, who led the team with 96 catches, 1,364 yards and eight touchdowns last season. 

With Williams as the new signal-caller in Chicago, Bears fans have a new era of football to be excited about. Moreover, the Bears’ selection marks the end of a remarkable collegiate career representing the Trojans.