Reggie Bush is Heisman winner again

The former electric USC star running back got his trophy “reinstated” Wednesday.

By DARREN PARRY
Former USC star running back Reggie Bush got his Heisman Trophy “reinstated” Wednesday morning. The former second-overall pick in the NFL draft joins past Trojan winners, including Caleb Williams and O.J. Simpson. (Bryce Dechert / Daily Trojan)

USC broke the tie this morning for first in Heisman Trophy winners in all of college football. It seems very interesting that they took the lead in April — given the ceremony is in December — but the NCAA officially reinstated former USC running back Reggie Bush’s Heisman Trophy.

“We considered the enormous changes in college athletics over the last several years in deciding that now is the right time to reinstate the Trophy for Reggie,” said The Heisman Trophy Trust President Michael Comerford in a statement from The Heisman Trophy Trust. “We are so happy to welcome him back.”

Bush’s reinstatement comes at a time when name, image and likeness is very prevalent in the world of college athletics. NIL is a stance where student-athletes can profit from their performance on the field.

This is very relevant to Bush’s situation, because the former second-overall pick in the NFL draft gave up his Heisman Trophy in light of major sanctions associated with money against Bush and USC. 

Bush seems to be exuberant at the fact he is getting his Heisman back.

“Personally, I’m thrilled to reunite with my fellow Heisman winners and be a part of the storied legacy of the Heisman Trophy, and I’m honored to return to the Heisman family,” Bush said in a statement to ESPN.

Bush finally gets his Heisman back, joining former and past Trojan winners Caleb Williams, Matt Leinart, Carson Palmer, Marcus Allen, Charles White, O.J. Simpson and Mike Garrett.

Bush will be getting his 2005 Heisman Trophy back and will be invited to all of the Heisman events starting in 2024.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.