DPS turned peaceful protest violent, organizers say, as they vow to continue demonstrating

A press conference Thursday afternoon marked the group’s first public address since the beginning of the occupation.

By ELIZABETH KUNZ & ZACHARY WHALEN
two speakers host a press conference
Two speakers fielded questions from various news outlets. (Christina Chkarboul / Daily Trojan)

Gaza Solidarity Occupation organizers held a press conference Thursday afternoon, answering questions in the group’s first public address since Wednesday’s daylong “Gaza Solidarity Occupation” at Alumni Park.

The speakers, who declined to identify themselves for fear of their safety, recounted the events of Wednesday night, stating that the protest had been peaceful, with events scheduled such as a meditation and craft workshops, before what they said was violent intervention by the Department of Public Safety.

“At 11:35 a.m., a female USC student who was documenting the event was physically assaulted by DPS officers, suffering bruising from a harsh punch to the chest,” the speakers said in a prepared statement. “At 11:38 a.m., another USC student was physically assaulted by DPS. After the student was forcibly pushed against the ground, DPS officers kneeled on the student’s neck for roughly 30 seconds.”

Speakers said USC’s administration turned the campus into a “militarized zone,” where DPS and the LAPD used what the speakers said was unnecessary force and tactical gear against students.

“As we clearly saw yesterday with the extreme and disproportionate level of militarization and aggression from the LAPD, [the LAPD and Israel Defense Forces] are aligned in their tactical repression of any and all Palestinian and pro-Palestinian voices,” the speakers said. 

News outlets asked speakers about the students arrested. Speakers said they were able to contact arrested students, and while the students were physically safe, they said they endured uncomfortable conditions while in LAPD custody such as high temperatures and enclosed spaces. 

Despite the news that USC’s main commencement ceremony had been canceled, the speakers said they were unfazed by the University’s decision and that they would continue to protest peacefully regardless of what events USC canceled. 

A speaker who identified themselves as a member of the USC chapter of Jewish Voice for Peace said Judaism was not synonymous with Zionism and that they “firmly denounce and condemn” claims that their movement was antisemitic.

“Zionism will never be an acceptable solution to antisemitism,” the JVP member said. “Jewish values of love, dialogue, peace and justice are in direct conflict with Zionism and its goals, which are to oppress, silence, and unjustly and illegally brutalize and eliminate the Palestinian people.”

As the press conference continued, protesters gathered at Founders Park to stage a die-in for Palestine. Protestors remained at the park after the demonstration, chanting alongside signs reading, “Free Palestine” and, “Bombing Kids is Not ‘Self Defense.’”

DPS was present in the area for much of the protest, maintaining a watchful eye as they discussed next steps with an official from Student Life. That same official had forced protestors to take down any banners hanging from trees during the initial occupation of Alumni Park on Wednesday. At around 7:30 p.m., DPS officers informed students that they were not allowed to lay blankets on the ground at Founders Park but did not cite a specific policy. When asked if there was such a policy, DPS told the Daily Trojan that they were actively looking for a policy that they could enforce. 

Officers would later inform protestors that the blankets were considered camping equipment and therefore forbidden on campus. Soon afterward, DPS announced to protestors that they would be allowed to stay at Founders Park overnight, so long as they did not sleep. But at 10 p.m. DPS told protesters that the University considered their presence at the park an “unsanctioned event” and that anyone who remained would be asked to either show their USC ID to DPS or be photographed by DPS.

The majority of students exited the park. DPS documented those who remained, with the information to be compiled in a report for the University to review and issue potential disciplinary action.

When asked at the presser earlier that afternoon what they were willing to risk, a speaker said the people in Palestine did not get to choose what they risked — which was why the coalition was working to support them. 

“Our University’s ties to genocide, that’s what this is all about. Our tuition goes to genocide and we should have a say over that. That’s why we occupied. That’s why we make these demands,” the speaker said. “As a Palestinian American who’s been silenced my whole entire life, I’m willing to risk most things. I don’t have a lot to lose.”

DPS officers speak with protestors
At 10 p.m. DPS told protesters that the University considered their presence at the park an “unsanctioned event” and that anyone who remained would be asked to either show their USC ID to DPS or be photographed by DPS. (Joy Wang / Daily Trojan)