Structured obedience fuels the violence against Gazans

Learned conformity has allowed atrocities against Palestine to keep occuring.

By ADITI CHOPRA
Grayson Seibert / Daily Trojan

Since Oct. 7, a disquieting realization has taken hold among those attuned to the atrocities unfolding in Gaza: a profound sense of dismay at the Western world’s apparent indifference as they continue their daily routines amid the escalating violence and suffering experienced by Palestinians.

This indifference is not just passive ignorance but an active role in the perpetuation of violence, fueled by deeply ingrained societal obedience and conformity. The normalization of violence and suffering in Gaza is indicative of a broader, more insidious issue: the Western public’s learned conformity to systemic injustice. Palestinian lives are viewed as expendable and their suffering as inevitable.

This troubling phenomenon of societal indifference amid grave atrocities echoes themes central to the historical and philosophical work of Hannah Arendt, a German Jew who was forced to flee her homeland in 1933. As a refugee in the United States, Arendt dedicated herself to understanding the rise of Nazism and authoritarianism.

In April 1961, Adolf Eichmann, an officer of the Schutzstaffel — the paramilitary organization under Adolf Hitler — stood trial for participating in the forced relocation of over 1.5 million Jews to ghettos and concentration camps. The trial posed a question of how a seemingly normal individual could commit atrocities of this scale.

Arendt’s theory of the vita activa, or the “active life,” revolves around three fundamental facets of existence: labor, where individuals sustain biological life through activities such as eating and reproduction; work, which involves the creation and enhancement of physical and cultural infrastructure; and action, where individuals develop their values to improve the world around them.

Arendt posited that the facet of action was under attack, overshadowed by a society where human existence was largely defined by labor and work, reducing individuals to mere producers and consumers rather than active participants in community-building. This trend, according to Arendt, led to a societal structure where individuals were valued primarily for their economic contributions rather than their social and political capacities, resulting in a sense of isolation.

She argued that such a societal framework created fertile ground for the emergence of totalitarian regimes. Within this framework, individuals find themselves in a state of loneliness, where adherence to the actions and principles of the regime becomes a means to regain a semblance of identity. Arendt suggested that it was within this societal context that figures like Eichmann committed atrocities, merely acting as dutiful citizens fulfilling their civic obligations.

In a society where authoritarian values are deeply entrenched, the unthinkable can become routine. Ordinary people would willingly embrace their assigned roles, even if those roles contribute to genocide. This understanding is all the more troubling given the Western response to Israel’s actions toward Palestinians both before and after Oct. 7.

The disturbing parallels between Arendt’s analysis and the Western public’s response to Gaza are evident. Just as Eichmann’s obedience was likely fueled by a desire for acceptance within a totalitarian regime, the Western world’s indifference is propelled by a need to conform to prevailing political and social narratives. This conformity stifles dissent and perpetuates a cycle of violence, where questioning the status quo is often met with hostility and resistance.

In the context of the ongoing atrocities in Gaza, the Western world’s indifference is not just a passive act of neglect; it is an active role in the suffering of Palestinians. The word “complicit” does not sufficiently describe the extent of the West’s actions. When American-made bombs manufactured by companies like Boeing and funded by U.S. tax dollars rain down on Gaza, we are directly responsible. The very fundamentals of our society are deeply intertwined with the capitalization of the perpetuation of violence against Palestinians.

The indifference of everyday Americans is not accidental but rather a result of deeply ingrained conformity and obedience to the status quo, fueled by a narrative that rationalizes and normalizes violence against marginalized communities. The Western world’s acceptance of violence against Gaza is a product of a societal structure that tolerates solely obedience over any sense of moral duty. Our collective persists that there shall be no room for any criticism of our role in Israel’s actions whatsoever. We are simply cogs in a machine.