(Don’t worry, this text box won’t show up when you preview or post the article)

Before you post:

• Did you add the hed as the post title?
  • Add the dek to 3 places: the text box, meta description and excerpt?
  • Set all images to “large?”
  • Add all authors to the custom field?
  • Select all relevant categories (section, beat, main feature etc.)?
  • Tag the article with all staff collaborators, section, and semester?
  • Add the featured image?

Lastly, PREVIEW the article to make sure everything looks how you want it to, and check for double spaces.

To publish for the following day at midnight schedule the article to 00:00 on the next day’s date.

Women’s basketball nabs stars before Big Ten

Coming off an Elite Eight run, USC refills roster with two new key contributors.

By KASEY KAZLINER
Head Coach Lindsay Gottlieb was tasked with replacing three graduating starters this offseason. She responded by snagging two of the best players in the transfer portal and welcoming the No. 1 recruiting class in the nation. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)

USC women’s basketball reintroduced itself as one of the nation’s best last season with a historic campaign led by then-freshman guard JuJu Watkins.

With Galen Center back on the map this summer, Head Coach Lindsay Gottlieb sought out top talent via the transfer portal to bolster the already successful cast preparing for its debut season in the Big Ten.

On top of a star-studded high school recruiting class, Gottlieb brought in two key catalysts from a pair of former Pac-12 foes. Hailing from 2024 Pac-12 Tournament runner-up Stanford, graduate forward Kiki Iriafen was first to join the mix, and was joined by former Oregon State graduate guard Talia von Oelhoffen two days later.

Named the Pac-12 Most Improved Player of the Year last season, Iriafen saw her point-per-game average skyrocket from 6.7 in 2022-23 to 19.4 on an efficient 54.6% field-goal percentage in 2023-24.

The 6-foot-3 Los Angeles native wasn’t just a force on the offensive end; she also averaged 11 rebounds per game. This allowed Stanford to begin quick scoring opportunities with her keen aggression on the glass.

Iriafen joins a USC frontcourt anchored by senior center Rayah Marshall, whose defensive-minded style of play combined with the transfer signee’s scoring ability will make the Trojans even more well-rounded heading into Big Ten play.

Although Stanford had the Pac-12’s best record at the end of the 2023-24 regular season, the second-place Trojans won both head-to-head matchups with the Cardinal, including the Pac-12 Championship Game. Iriafen contributed 16 and 18 points in the two battles, respectively.

With one year of eligibility remaining, Iriafen will aim to reach the pinnacle of women’s college basketball at USC before setting her sights on the WNBA.

Iriafen also brings valuable Tournament experience to the lineup, having made three March Madness appearances. Her breakout 2023-24 campaign included a 41-point outing in the NCAA Tournament Round of 32 against Iowa State, leading the Cardinal to an 87-81 win in overtime.

Her playing style consists of a tenacious will to reach the basket, as well as a dynamic mid-range shooting ability that puts her one step ahead of opposing defenders.

Iriafen committed to USC on April 27 in the wake of former Head Coach Tara VanDerveer’s retirement announcement after 38 seasons at Stanford.

Iriafen’s impressive resume also boasts three Pac-12 championships, an All-Pac-12 selection and an Associated Press All-America Honorable Mention.

It didn’t take long for von Oelhoffen to follow suit, as she made the jump to USC after a successful four-year run at Oregon State, and instantly gave the Trojans much-needed guard depth.

Von Oelhoffen made waves as the Beavers’ third-leading scorer and main guard option last year, averaging 10.7 points and 5 assists on a team that joined USC in the Elite Eight.

Although her scoring figures regressed from the season before, she raised her assist average by 1.7 per game and exerted star potential in key bouts. Against Iriafen’s Cardinal on Feb. 29, von Oelhoffen erupted for a season-high 27 points, ending in a narrow loss for Oregon State.

While Watkins controlled the USC backcourt in 2023-24, the departures of graduate guards McKenzie Forbes and Kayla Padilla left a void for a second backcourt option to complement Watkins’ fast-paced, high-scoring offensive scheme. On April 29, von Oelhoffen committed to Gottlieb’s regime, giving the program another bold guard.

Starting in all 35 games for the Beavers last season, von Oelhoffen showed her versatility by hitting 45 3-pointers while also serving as a legitimate defensive threat. A two-time All-Pac-12 player, von Oelhoffen added to her accolades by receiving Pac-12 Defensive Honorable Mention status in 2023-24. Her defensive prowess was displayed against USC in two matchups last campaign, in which Oregon State limited the Trojans to under 60 points in both games.

Her on- and off-ball abilities will create plenty of scoring opportunities for USC, and her veteran experience — paired with Iriafen’s — will be vital as the Trojans welcome in the nation’s top high-school recruiting class, according to ESPN.

As USC strives for championship greatness unseen in over 40 years, Gottlieb’s newly assembled, multifaceted group will look to shock the Big Ten and bring hardware back to Galen Center.