Freshman Phenoms: Football’s promising add-ons

The No. 18 recruiting class in the country is poised to make an immediate impact.

By LEILA MACKENZIE
Former USC defensive end Solomon Byrd celebrated the Trojans’ triple overtime win over Arizona last fall after he commanded the defensive line to stuff the Wildcats in the red zone. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan file photo)
Share your hopes for USC Football with the Daily Trojan! DT is taking inspiration from The Athletic and publishing a “Hope-O-Meter” for the USC Football season based on community input. How do you think the Trojans will do in Fall 2024? Fill out the short survey linked here.

Los Angeles — the city of stars where everyone is eternally young, beautiful and acclaimed — has proven to be the ideal incubator for first-year football phenoms. 

Dating back to 1973, when All-American linebacker Richard “Batman” Wood led the 12-0 Trojans to their 13th Rose Bowl victory his initial full season, many of college football’s best freshmen have called the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum their home. 

In the decades to follow, USC flaunted freshman talents such as All-American and Lombardi-winner guard Brad Budde, Hall of Fame tackle Tony Boselli and Mike Williams — Heisman winner quarterback Carson Palmer’s favorite wide receiver.

And last season, wide receiver and returner Zachariah Branch was the Trojans’ fourth-leading receiver, and he zipped downfield for an average of 18.4 yards per kick return and 20.8 yards per punt return. Branch was USC’s first-ever true freshman First Team All-American as a returner — a shocking achievement considering the players it’s taken to construct the Trojans’ 11-championship and eight-Heisman pedigree.

In the wake of Branch’s breakout season, the Trojans’ No. 18 nationally ranked recruiting class is eager to snag a few starting spots to spook Big Ten defenses this season. These are the freshest faces poised to be play-makers this fall. 

Kameryn Fountain — Defensive End — True Freshman

As former USC rush end Solomon Byrd competes for an NFL roster spot out in Houston, the Trojans are looking for someone to replicate his production — and Fountain may be their man. He’s known to deliver a deluge of destruction on the defensive line and even forced a strip sack leading to a touchdown in the All-American Bowl. Fountain would join redshirt senior defensive end Jamil Muhammad and Vanderbilt University transfer redshirt senior defensive tackle Nate Clifton in trying to rush opposing offenses.

Marcelles Williams — Cornerback — True Freshman

In the offseason, Head Coach Lincoln Riley and the Trojans’ new Defensive Coordinator D’Anton Lynn sought to add greater depth to USC’s questionable secondary. Although he’s one of five true freshman defensive backs, they may have picked up a starter in Williams. Alongside the other freshmen, Williams will compete for snaps against UCLA transfer redshirt senior John Humphrey and former Mississippi State University redshirt senior DeCarlos Nicholson, in addition to returners redshirt senior Jacobe Covington, redshirt junior Prophet Brown and redshirt freshman Maliki Crawford.

The Williams family is known for bringing production to the Trojans’ secondary. His brother Max has played safety at USC for the past five seasons, and his father, Maxzell, was a defensive back at the University of Nevada.

Sam Greene — Defensive Lineman — Redshirt Freshman

This will be Greene’s second go-around with the Trojans, but this time, his accompanying defensive lineman fulfills a different defensive philosophy. Since the departure of former Defensive Coordinator Alex Grinch, Riley and company have opted to recruit taller and more built linemen. At 6-foot-1, Greene may seem like an outlier, but he’s put on 20 pounds in the offseason and most importantly, he’s speedy — fit for any position on defense.

Jason Zandamela — Offensive Lineman — True Freshman

Rarely do offensive lineman start their first season with a team, but with USC, it’s not unheard of. In last fall’s season opener against San Jose State University, Alani Noa made his Trojan debut as a true freshman. If Riley’s bold enough to make the same roster move again, there is no better option in college football than this Gulf Coast guard — the nation’s No. 1 overall interior line recruit. 

Joey Olsen — Tight End — True Freshman

In the Caleb Williams era, the Trojan offense was known for completing boundless bombs each game, but those were rarely hauled down by a tight end. Redshirt junior tight end Lake McRee cemented himself as the Trojans’ position leader until he tore his ACL before the Holiday Bowl. Even still, McRee had barely recorded over 250 yards on the season. With McRee working through recovery and a new quarterback under center, there’s an opportunity for young blood like the No. 1 Oregon recruit to make a name for himself at the tight end position.

Quinten Joyner — Running Back — Redshirt Freshman

USC lost its top two rushers from last season — MarShawn Lloyd and Austin Jones — and is actively shopping the roster for an RB2 behind Mississippi State transfer Jo’Quavious “Woody” Marks. Joyner should be primed to fill that role. Last season, he ran for 125 yards on 18 carries, including a 47-yard touchdown against Nevada, whereas the Trojans’ other redshirt freshman running back A’Marion Peterson was limited to two touches.