Soccer remains undefeated in unabated comeback over the Waves

At Pepperdine, the Trojans acquired three second half scores for their second win.

By PEYTON DACY
The Trojans nearly completed a comeback last Sept. against Utah Valley when they scored two goals in the final frame, but it wasn’t enough to overcome the Wolverines. This year, as evidenced by Sunday afternoon’s trio of second half goals, the Trojans seems to have assembled all of the tools required to pull off successful late match pushes. (Bryson Nihipali / Daily Trojan file photo)

Soccer continued its strong start to the season with a 3-1 win at Pepperdine University. The Trojans played the Waves at the scenic Tari Frahm Rokus Field and closed out the Sunday afternoon with an amazing second-half performance. This match marks USC’s second win of the season, with no losses conceded thus far. 

USC (2-0-1) started out slow, playing a flat-footed possession game which allowed Pepperdine (2-2-0) to capitalize on a Trojan error and score early in the game. The Waves’ lone goal came in the second minute and was scored by graduate student forward Tori Waldeck off an assist by sophomore forward Julia Quinonez. This early concession, however, did not throw the Trojans off — they continued to play their game, now with intensified urgency. 

The Trojans were able to tie up the match in the 52nd minute when freshman forward Faith George scored the first goal of her collegiate career. The screamer of a goal came after George was fed the ball by freshman midfielder Ines Derrien, setting up George to rifle in her shot just inside the 18-yard box. 

“Faith’s goal was amazing,” Head Coach Jane Alukonis said in a post-match interview with USC Athletics. 

Considering the pivotal timing of George’s goal, the Trojans hope it will set a strong tone for the beginning of her career in Cardinal and Gold. 

The second goal of the afternoon was scored by graduate student midfielder Hannah Griffin in the 61st minute. The goal came as Griffin crossed the ball from the right sideline into the box, where it hit Pepperdine’s keeper and bounced into the net. This marks Griffin’s third goal with the Trojans since transferring from Harvard University in 2023. 

In spite of their lead, the Trojans refrained from playing conservatively and continued to play a possession-heavy game. USC’s dominance in the second half appeared to unsettle Pepperdine’s defense as the third goal of the match was classified as an own goal; it came off a cross sent in by senior forward Simone Jackson, deflecting off a Pepperdine defender and into the back of the net. 

“We have attacking players that come on and continue the same energy and fight, [which] makes us very, very dangerous,” Alukonis said in a post-match interview with USC Athletics, reflecting on the Trojans’ depth. “It allows us to keep our press high but also be dangerous in the attack.”

The Trojans’ comeback after the early goal by the Waves was well earned with USC’s clear control of the game’s flow. The Trojans ended the match having held 68% of possession and a 15-7 shot advantage.

“Number one thing is we had to keep our heads strong and know that the way we play, we wanna move the ball in a way that moves [the opponent],” Alukonis said. “It’s not uncommon for us to be able to score a goal in the 60th, 70th minute. Luckily, it came a little earlier.” 

The Trojans did just that. Their constant movement allowed them to dominate possession and opportunity over the more flat-footed Waves. 

USC will face the University of Portland on the road at Merlo Field on Saturday, Aug. 31 at 4 p.m.