Fall into school with September streaming

Gear up for cozy season and the new school year with these exciting shows.

By ALIA YEE NOLL
(Bella Hoffman / Daily Trojan)

Between rushing to classes, tailgating on Saturdays and settling back into the swing of things, the beginning of the fall semester is shaping up to be busy. So don’t worry if you don’t have the time to scroll through five different streaming services for a show to watch on your night in — the Daily Trojan has you covered with this September streaming guide.

Netflix

“The Perfect Couple” — Sept. 5

Two things go together perfectly: a summertime beach romance and a dead body found floating in the ocean. Even if this pairing doesn’t strike your fancy, “The Perfect Couple” is sure to make waves on Netflix. The six-episode drama series, based on Elin Hilderbrand’s 2018 novel of the same name, stars Eve Hewson as a bride-to-be marrying into one of Nantucket’s wealthiest families. 

Things are all yacht parties, beach days and champagne bubbles until someone ends up dead in the harbor. Suddenly, everyone in Nantucket is a suspect — especially the groom’s family, who are “kill-someone-and-get-away-with-it rich,” according to the FBI agent on the case.

The star-stacked cast features Nicole Kidman, Liev Schreiber, Dakota Fanning and Ishaan Khatter, and it’s sure to be the perfect watch as bright summer days turn into eerie, dark fall nights. “The Perfect Couple” will rock the boat on Netflix when it arrives Sept. 5. 

Peacock

“Fight Night: The Million Dollar Heist” — Sept. 5

The year: 1970. The city: Atlanta, Georgia. The event: Muhammad Ali’s unforgettable comeback fight. The con: A bold, money-making armed robbery with a hustler named Chicken Man at the center that will change Atlanta forever.

As Chicken Man deals with the fallout of the heist, he tussles with an old foe, J.D. Hudson (Don Cheadle), who is trying to make a name for himself as one of the first Black detectives in Atlanta’s desegregated police force. 

Kevin Hart stars as Chicken Man alongside an A-list cast with Samuel L. Jackson, Taraji P. Henson, Don Cheadle and Terrence Howard as they navigate the dazzling, seductive conditions that turned Atlanta into the “Black Mecca.” “Fight Night: The Million Dollar Heist” is sure to be a smash on Peacock beginning Sept. 5. 

Hulu

“How to Die Alone” — Sept. 13

After playing a supportive, zany best friend in “Insecure” and a supportive, empathetic spa manager in “The White Lotus,” Natasha Rothwell finally has a show all about her. She’ll star in “How to Die Alone” as a John F. Kennedy airport employee down on her luck who feels so desolate her coworker catches her “sad twerking.” 

As her love life, finances and family ties are all going down the drain, in a staggering turn of events, a near-death fall causes her to take charge of her life and find love in all of its forms. The dramedy will also star Conrad Ricamora, Jocko Sims and KeiLyn Durrel Jones, who help Rothwell’s character, Mel, as she charts a new course. 

As the semester revs up, watch “How to Die Alone” to remember that you only have one life to live — take flight and thrive. “How to Die Alone” will jet to Hulu on Sept. 13.

Disney+

“Agatha All Along” — Sept. 18

Following her dramatic reveal in “WandaVision,” evil witch Agatha Harkness (Kathryn Hahn) will return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe for a brand-new, spooky adventure in “Agatha All Along.” Viewers left Harkness trapped in the town of Westview, New Jersey, where she begins the new series as a detective. A tragic murder case becomes the final push for Harkness to break free from her distorted spell and go back to being the witch she’s always been — yet she is still powerless. 

Harkness brings together an unlikely group of sorcerers to help her regain her powers, and the coven sets out to conquer the trials and tribulations of the infamous Witches’ Road, which guarantees to reward any witch who survives with “what they’re missing.”

The genre-bending, time-traveling series features Joe Locke, Aubrey Plaza, Sasheer Zamata, Ali Ahn and Patti LuPone as members of Harkness’ coven. “Agatha All Along” will enchant viewers on Disney+ beginning Sept. 18.

Apple TV+

“Midnight Family” — Sept. 25

“Midnight Family” takes “family business” to a brand new level. The Tamayos are a family of paramedics — patriarch Ramón and children Marigaby, Marcus and Julito spend their nights racing an ambulance around Mexico City, saving lives as EMTs. 

While the family feels compelled to serve the people of Mexico City, tensions run high — Marigaby, a medical student, juggles the family business with burnout, finding love and everything that goes along with coming of age; Ramón and Marcus clash over the family’s finances as the Tamayos serve more citizens who cannot pay out of pocket.

Based on the documentary of the same name, the Spanish-language drama will star Joaquín Cosío as Ramón, Renata Vaca as Marigaby, Diego Calva as Marcus and Sergio Bautista as Julito. “Midnight Family” will definitely get your heart rate up when it comes to Apple TV+ on Sept. 25.