FOOTBALL — 2024-25

USC vs. LSU — as it happened

Last updated:
USC Football Live Scores

Scoring plays

Win probability

• Robert Westermann / Daily Trojan
    📌 PINNED
    Henry Mode from Las Vegas, NV.; photos by Ethan Thai & Robert Westermann

Trojans win

With a new starting quarterback and defensive system, USC arrived in Las Vegas cloaked in question marks. But after trouncing the No. 13 LSU Tigers 27-20 Sunday afternoon, the Trojans departed Allegiant Stadium assured of their newfound identity

It’s a tight one in Vegas.

After three quarters, just four points have separated these teams. The new-look offenses have slowed down a bit, as the defenses have shown out and put their marks on this game. One quarter left to decide it all.

Refresh to see new updates.

This Sunday showdown marks a series of firsts for USC as Miller Moss takes over for Caleb Williams in the Trojans’ first game as part of the Big Ten and first bout with an SEC school since 2016. We’re reporting live from Allegiant Stadium.

What to know:

• Both USC and LSU lost Heisman-winning quarterbacks to the NFL in the offseason.
    • D’Anton Lynn will debut as the Trojans’ defensive coordinator
    • ESPN has the Tigers favored to win at 55.1%.

SCORE: USC – 27 LSU – 20

The game at a glance:

• TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q2 11:06, Marks. Kick GOOD.
    • Touchdown Tigers, Q2 7:04, Nussmeier to Lacy. Kick Good.
    • FIELD GOAL TROJANS, Q2 4:21.
    • Field Goal Tigers, Q2 1:08.
    • FIELD GOAL TROJANS, Q3 7:13
    • Touchdown Tigers, Q3 4:31, Nussmeier to Anderson. Kick Good
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q4 5:44, Moss to Lane. Kick GOOD
    • Field Goal Tigers, Q4 1:47.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q4 0:08, Marks. Kick GOOD.
    8:15 p.m.

And that will actually do it. Nussmeier is picked off by USC senior linebacker Mason Cobb and Moss is out to take a knee. A huge upset win for the Trojans to start the season in Vegas.

8:12 p.m.
    TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

With eight seconds remaining, Marks erupts up the middle and into the end zone. The Trojans lead 27-20 and this one looks to be over. The USC fans are serenading the building while the Tiger fans head for the exits.

8:10 p.m.

Wow. Have a day Hudson. The junior wideout somehow hangs on to a catch despite getting absolutely leveled by LSU junior safety Jardin Gilbert. After a lengthy review, Gilbert is called for targeting, and the Trojans add 15 yards to a 20-yard gain. 1st and 10 at the 13-yard line.

8:05 p.m.

There is Branch. His first catch of the half goes for nine yards and has the Trojans approaching midfield. A quick out to Hudson gives USC a first down at the 42 with 27 seconds remaining.

8:01 p.m.
    Tigers field goal

USC comes up with a huge stop in the red zone, forcing a 31 yard field goal attempt from Ramos, which is good and ties the score at 20-20. The Trojan offense will get the ball back with 1:47 and one timeout remaining.

7:49 p.m.

Huge coverage breakdown in the Trojan secondary, and Anderson found himself as wide open as it gets. Pick up of 41 and the Tigers are marching on the door again. 

7:46 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

After a 20-yard completion from Moss to Hudson, the Trojans finally break off a big running play – 16 more for Marks. On the next play, the Tigers jumped offside, and Moss took full advantage of the free play, dropping an absolute dime for sophomore wide receiver Ja’Kobi Lane in the end zone. USC leads 20-17 with 5:44 remaining.

7:37 p.m.

USC senior linebacker Eric Gentry makes a huge play in the LSU backfield on 3rd and 1, as the Trojan defense forces yet another stop. Branch touch tracker: none in the second half.

7:32 p.m.

After Riley had to burn a second-half timeout to avoid a delay of game penalty on 3rd and 6, the result is a delayed draw to Marks that loses yardage. The Trojans then lined up to go for it on 4th and 9, only to burn ANOTHER timeout. Riley sticks with the plan, and Moss’ pass is batted down at the line of scrimmage, which has happened quite a few times tonight. LSU will take over up four with 8:38 remaining, and USC has just one timeout left.

7:25 p.m.

The Trojans finally have a first down after a 19-yard gain by junior tight end Lake McRee, who is emerging as an early favorite target of Moss’. McRee is up to five catches for 56 yards, both game-highs for USC.

7:18 p.m.

Another very nice play by Ramsey on third down forces an LSU punt, and a much-needed stop gives the Trojans the ball back down four. USC will start at its own 15-yard line after a fair catch by Branch, who had zero touches in the third quarter. It will be interesting to see if Riley makes a concerted effort to get him the ball this time around.

7:12 p.m.

If the USC offense had any rhythm going in the first half, it’s gone. Moss and co. just went three-and-out again, almost coughing up the ball inside their own 10-yard line in the process. The Tigers can now look to extend their new lead, starting at their own 23.

7:05 p.m.

Touchdown Tigers

And just like that, the Tigers lead 17-13 (their first lead of the night) and this place is rocking. Two Trojan defensive backs ran into each other, and redshirt sophomore wide receiver Aaron Anderson could have walked backward into the end zone. Moss and the USC offense will get the ball back with 3:42 remaining in the third quarter and look to grab some momentum back.

7:03 p.m.

The much-hyped Tiger offensive line has not exactly lived up to its billing so far tonight, but they just parted the Trojan defensive line like the red sea, opening up an enormous hole for Tiger graduate running back John Emery Jr. The 39-yard carry nearly doubles LSU’s rushing total on the day, and puts the Tigers back in the red zone. 

6:55 p.m.

FIELD GOAL TROJANS

Moss hung onto the ball for a loooong time on third down in the red zone and paid for it, as LSU’s second sack of the game came via senior edge rusher Sai’Vion Jones. Lantz avoided missing the flight back to SoCal tonight by hitting from close range this time, and the Trojans lead 13-10 with seven minutes and change left in the third quarter.

6:51 p.m.

The Tiger fans were as loud as they’d been all night for a USC 3rd and 10 deep in Trojan territory, but Moss was able to drown out the noise and find senior wide receiver Kyle Ford cutting across the middle for a huge 41-yard gain. Instead of back-to-back three-and-outs. The Trojans now have a first down in LSU territory.

6:44 p.m.

USC Senior cornerback Jacobe Covington was able to bring down Lacy just short of the sticks on third down and force LSU to bring out the punt team. Branch stumbled on the return and was unable to gain any additional yardage, but the Trojans will take over at their own 23-yard line.

6:36 p.m.

We are back underway and the Trojans have gone three-and-out. Senior punter Eddie Czaplicki’s second punt of the day sticks the Tigers at their own 27 after a disappointing start to the half for USC’s offense.

6:15 p.m.

USC plays it safe, running it up the middle with Woody Marks and calling its last timeout of the half with two seconds remaining. The Trojans’ lack of aggression does not pay off, as Michael Lantz misses a chip shot from 29 yards, and we are tied 10-10 at the half.

6:10 p.m.

The Trojans are pushing for last-second points in the first half after a dime up the seam from Miller Moss to sophomore wideout Makai Lemon. It is 1st and 10 for USC at the Tigers’ 36 with 18 seconds remaining in the half.

6:05 p.m.

LSU’s field goal unit is out after a great open-field tackle on third down by senior linebacker Easton Mascarenas-Arnold stopped the Tigers in their tracks. The 45-yard field goal attempt by LSU junior kicker Damian Ramos is good, and the score is 10-10.

5:58 p.m.

The Tigers are pushing to tie or take the lead before the break, as the USC secondary continues to have no answers for Kyren Lacy. He is up to 7 catches for 94 yards and a touchdown with two minutes still left in the first half, and LSU is approaching the red zone.

5:52 p.m.

Zachariah Branch quickly erased an illegal block-in-the-back penalty and sack with a big gain on a screen to put the Trojans back inside the five, but Kyron Hudson couldn’t haul in a third-down pass and USC settled for a field goal. Redshirt senior kicker Michael Lantz’s first field goal attempt as a Trojan was good from 22 yards, and USC lead 10-7.

5:47 p.m.

The Trojans are knocking on the door after an absolute dime from Miller Moss to sophomore wideout Duce Robinson down the left sideline. A pickup of 38 yards and it’s first and goal at the five-yard line.

5:43 p.m.

Zachariah Branch is back, and still electric. He just took a kickoff return into LSU territory, and the Trojans are immediately back in business after giving up their first points of the day.

5:39 p.m.

Touchdown Tigers

LSU has drawn level after a beautiful pass from Garrett Nussmeier finds Kyren Lacy in the back of the end zone. The Trojans DBs struggled to keep Tiger wide receivers close on that drive, as Nussmeier is now 16-19 for 148 yards and a touchdown.

5:28 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

The first of the season comes via senior running back Woody Marks after a pass interference penalty gave USC first and goal at the two-yard line. The Trojans have come to play so far in Vegas, showcasing a methodical offense and a more disciplined defense.

5:23 p.m.

The Trojans are into the red zone after an unbelievable acrobatic, one-handed catch from junior wide receiver Kyron Hudson. USC has marched down the field behind Hudson’s heroics and a big gainer on a delayed screen to sophomore wide receiver Zachariah Branch.

5:13 p.m.

Another huge stop for USC as sophomore safety Kamari Ramsey makes a huge play on third down, ripping LSU sophomore wide receiver Aaron Anderson to the ground before he could get to the outside. The play marked the end of the first quarter, and the Tigers will bring out the punt team when the second period begins.

5:04 p.m.

The Tigers blitz on third-down and get to Miller Moss, forcing USC’s first punt of the season. LSU will take over at the 17 after some great punt coverage by the Trojans. Moss was 3-3 for 16 yards on his first drive of the season – all quick, schemed throws for minimal yardage.

4:57 p.m.

USC’s defense comes up huge, this time stopping the Tigers on fourth down in the red zone. Pressure immediately got to LSU junior quarterback Garrett Nussmeier, who was forced to quickly get rid of the ball and missed everybody. Miller Moss and the Trojans will take over at their own three-yard line.

4:48 p.m.

LSU senior wideout Kyren Lacy’s third catch of the drive is his third first-down as the drive, as the Tigers convert on fourth down and close in on the red zone. 

4:45 p.m.

The Tigers win the toss and elect to receive. USC’s new-look defense under Defensive Coordinator D’Anton Lynn will start the season on the field.

4:25 p.m.

It is a crisp 104 degrees in Las Vegas today, but it is nice and cool inside Allegiant Stadium, where we are five minutes away from kickoff between USC and LSU. 

The stadium is still filling in, but Tiger fans are very well represented. There were some fairly loud boos as redshirt junior quarterback Miller Moss and the Trojans took the field for warmups.