No. 13 USC heads home, faces Utah State

Following a big win in Las Vegas, the Trojans face a team they’ve never lost to.

By KASEY KAZLINER
Sophomore wide receiver Zachariah Branch accounted for over 100 yards in the Trojans’ outing in Las Vegas, including a 46 yard kick return. (Ethan Thai / Daily Trojan)

USC may have stunned LSU when the two met in a Sin City season-opener Sunday, but the Trojans know the campaign is just beginning and weekly success is not guaranteed.

Sunday’s victory revealed multiple bright spots for the No. 13 Trojans (1-0). Redshirt junior quarterback Miller Moss appeared calm and comfortable in his second career start — connecting with his receivers for multiple highlight-reel plays — and the defense limited the run, especially holding firm down the stretch.

The game featured multiple adjustments on both sides of the football, pointing out the growing pains of a new system.

USC’s offensive line — fielding experienced veterans and younger breakout candidates — featured redshirt senior Jonah Monheim at center for the first time and redshirt freshman Elijah Paige at left tackle. This formula allowed Moss to settle in, but Head Coach Lincoln Riley will certainly like to see its block production tighten up as the season progresses, as Moss was sacked twice.

“I’m really proud of just how we competed and how we responded throughout the night,” Monheim said at practice Tuesday. “There’s plenty of things that we can get better at, perform better at, both in the run game and the pass game.”

On the other side of the ball, Defensive Coordinator D’Anton Lynn’s revamped system blocked out the noise and got to work.

In 2023, USC was toward the bottom of the pack in run defense, allowing an average of 186.5 rushing yards per game. But against the Tigers (0-1), a team known for its polarizing offensive line unit, the Trojans only allowed 117 yards with 0 touchdowns.

“There’s a real hunger in this program to get back to playing elite defense that you expect at USC,” Riley said. “[We’re] incredibly motivated to get it done.”

In the air, LSU fifth-year wide receiver Kyren Lacy was a threat early in the game with 94 yards and a touchdown but was a nonfactor in the second half, as the USC defense limited him to zero catches across the final 30 minutes.

Redshirt sophomore safety Kamari Ramsey led the Trojans with nine total tackles, while senior linebacker Eric Gentry flooded the backfield with two tackles for loss, collectively building cohesion for a defensive unit attempting to build itself up from the bottom.

Although USC’s rushing attack ultimately sealed the winning touchdown, it was less productive than LSU’s, only averaging 3.3 yards per carry for 72 total yards. But in an air-focused offense, Moss ran the show at his own pace, finding several different targets for long receptions.

“[Moss] dropped back, made some good passes, smart passes more than anything,” said redshirt senior wide receiver Kyle Ford. “It gives us confidence as a team.”

Redshirt junior wide receiver Kyron Hudson shined with potentially the catch of the year and 83 yards, leading all USC wideouts. Moss’ plethora of options allowed him to distribute his throws across the board, connecting with sophomore wide receiver Ja’Kobi Lane for a late touchdown and other targets for big gains.

Riley’s program will search for consistency on offense and defense as the season progresses. While not a Power Four juggernaut like LSU, USC’s next opponent won its Week 1 matchup convincingly and has history against USC.

Utah State University (1-0) defeated Robert Morris University (0-1) Saturday. Facing the Trojans as heavy underdogs, the Aggies will aim to capitalize on any complacency USC shows as it plays off a short week.

USC has never lost to Utah State, with six victories all-time and winning 45-7 in the teams’ most recent battle in 2016.

The Aggies’ big win featured 3 touchdowns of at least 50 yards. They’ll look to replicate their offensive explosiveness against the Trojans’ secondary.

The matchup will be the Trojans’ final non-conference battle until Nov. 30, when they take on Notre Dame (1-0) at home. Awaiting Big Ten play, USC will continue to prepare for the conference’s physicality and competitiveness in its home opener.

The Trojans and Aggies will meet Saturday at 8 p.m. at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum with a 2-0 record at stake for both sides.