FOOTBALL — 2024-2025

USC vs. Utah State — as it happened

Last updated:
USC Football Live Scores

Scoring plays

Win probability

• Jeremy Park / Daily Trojan
    📌 PINNED
    Stefano Fendrich & Henry Mode from Los Angeles, Calif.; photos by Henry Kofman & Jeremy Park

Tonight’s game marks both USC’s home opener and the last game for the Trojans before starting Big Ten play.

We’re reporting live from the L.A. Coliseum as USC looks to build off its big win in Vegas last week. Refresh to see new updates.

Some further reading:

• USC fans are feeling hopeful after an inspiring opening win. Will the Trojans keep the aura of hope in the air tonight?

SCORE: USC – 48 Utah State – 0

The game at a glance:

• FIELD GOAL TROJANS, Q1 11:13.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q1 4:22, Joyner. Kick good.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q2 13:06, Marks. Kick good.
    • FIELD GOAL TROJANS, Q2 1:41.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q2 0:04, Moss to Lemon. Kick good.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q3 5:31, Joyner. Kick good.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q4 14:15, Maiava. Kick good.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q4 6:32, Peterson. Kick good.
    11:38 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

The Aggies’ bid to avoid a shutout turns into an apt summary of their day. After a third-down run loses six yards, a 52-yard field goal attempt comes up well short. The Trojans take a knee, and this one is over. 48-0 USC in a dominant home-opener performance. 

11:26 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

The Trojan lead is at 48-0 after a first-career touchdown for redshirt freshman running back A’Marion Peterson. Fifth rushing touchdown of the day for USC, from four different ball carriers.

11:26 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

11:06 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

The Aggies have the ball back after punts from both teams. USC’s drive fizzled out after an injury to junior backup center Kilian O’Connor, who was helped off the field by the medical staff.

10:53 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

Maiava’s first drive as a Trojan has ended in dramatic fashion, as he scrambles away from Aggie defenders for an incredible rushing touchdown. After nearly fumbling the second snap he took, Maiava looked very comfortable, completing all five pass attempts for 33 yards in addition to the rushing score.

10:51 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

End of the third quarter at the Coliseum, 34-0 USC. Some loud cheers from the Trojan fans as the torch is miraculously lit, after it initially appeared to be out of commission for the night due to power outages inside the stadium.

10:43 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

That will do it for Moss’s day, as redshirt sophomore quarterback Jayden Maiava will take the field for his Trojan debut.

10:41 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

The Aggies are punting again after the Trojans collected their third sack on the last two Utah State drives. It was USC redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Devan Thompkins who got to Barnes on third down this time. 

10:33 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

Joyner has his second score of the day after a methodical, 11-play drive by the Trojans, who lead 34-0 with 5:31 left in the third quarter.

10:25 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

The Trojans have their first sack of the season via Gentry, whose big play led to a third-and-long, and eventually a turnover on downs after Ramsey got to Barnes on fourth down.

9:46 p.m.
    Stefano Fendrich, Managing Editor

For the first time since Riley arrived at USC, the Trojans have pitched a first half shutout on defense. It’s been a good performance from Lynn’s unit, which hasn’t allowed the Aggies to cross USC’s 40-yard line. On offense, the ground game and Marks have taken over to push the Trojan’s lead to 27-0.

9:44 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

The Trojans are back in the end zone after sophomore wideout Makai Lemon takes a screen to the house from six yards out. 27-0 USC after the extra point with just four seconds left in the half.

9:37 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

The Trojans have the ball back in Utah State territory after a tip drill interception by senior linebacker Easton Mascarenas-Arnold. 

9:33 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

USC stretches its lead to 20-0 as Lantz hits a chip shot from 24 yards out after a promising Trojan drive stalled out in the red zone.

9:14 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

Utah State graduate punter Stephen Kotsanlee has been a busy man in this first half and is out again after a nice tackle for loss by Trojan redshirt senior cornerback Jacobe Covington on third down.

9:07 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

On the very next play after the fourth down stop, the Aggies immediately get the ball back after a fumble by McRee, who picked up 33 yards before Utah State junior cornerback D.J. Graham II punched the ball loose. The Aggies will have the ball at their own 11-yard line.

9:05 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

USC will take over in plus territory after a huge stop on fourth down. Junior defensive end Anthony Lucas got to Barnes quickly and forced an errant throw, with Defensive Coordinator D’Anton Lynn sending the pressure.

8:56 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor
    TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

USC leads 17-0 after a short touchdown run by Marks on 3rd and goal. Sophomore wideout Zachariah Branch was the second Trojan to drop a touchdown in the red zone today, but this time it wasn’t costly.

8:50 p.m.
    Stefano Fendrich, Managing Editor

After one quarter, USC is up 10 and dominating on both sides of the ball. Utah State has just 51 yards to the Trojans’ 216, with 142 of those USC yards coming on the ground. The second quarter will start with a third and one for the Trojans at the Aggies’ 38-yard line.

8:46 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

24 yards up the right sideline for redshirt junior tight end Lake McRee, who redshirt junior quarterback Miller Moss continues to look towards often.

8:46 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

8:42 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

Another big stop for USC on third down, as a pass breakup from redshirt sophomore safety Kamari Ramsey forces another Aggie punt.

8:35 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

Redshirt freshman running back Quentin Joyner punches it in from the nine-yard line after escaping for 32 yards down the right sideline on the previous play. It’s a huge series for Joyner, and the Trojans lead 10-0.

8:27 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

The Aggies are punting after a big stop by the Trojans on 3rd and 9. Pressure from senior linebacker Eric Gentry forced a quick throw by Aggies junior quarterback Bryson Barnes for a minimal gain.

8:17 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

The Trojans are forced to settle for a field goal after a bad drop in the endzone on third down by sophomore wide receiver Ja’Kobi Lane. The 23-yard attempt by redshirt senior kicker Michael Lantz is good; USC leads 3-0 early on.

8:14 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

A big play early for the Trojans as redshirt senior running back Woody Marks breaks free for 33 yards up the right sideline. USC is moving.

8:09 p.m.
    Stefano Fendrich, Managing Editor

It’s heads and the Trojans will start on offense with Utah State deferring. Head Coach Lincoln Riley and co. will get the chance to strike first.

7:55 p.m.
    Stefano Fendrich, Managing Editor

We’re 15 minutes away from kickoff at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Trojan faithful is packing into the stadium to see if USC can improve to a perfect 2-0 on the season against the Utah State Aggies.