NOTD creates aesthetic and reusable nails

Helen Shan started a press-on nail business as a thrifty, artistic option for students.

By JESSICA MESSINA
NOTD has built a brand on creating trendy and sustainable nails that share varying styles and colors. It doubles as a passion project for founder Helen Shan, who aims to make students feel comfortable wearing her designs.(Christine Zhang)

Balancing school and career aspirations can be a struggle for any college student. Often, the pursuit of personal passions is put on the back burner. To combat the weight of this challenge, Helen Shan, a sophomore majoring in arts, technology and the business of innovation, has channeled her creative spirit into an innovation that mirrors her academic and professional pursuits: nail of the day.

“After coming to USC, I [saw] doing nails in the nail salon is really expensive, and I really love those stylish ones which will cost me a lot of money,” Shan said. “I always had a hobby of doing the nails myself … I thought it was a really good chance for me to start a little business.”

NOTD aims to create fashionable, fun and sustainable nails that can be used as an outlet for ever-changing expression.

“I want people to wear our product to fit their outfit every day [and] to match their mood,” Shan said.

As an Iovine and Young Academy student, Shan is passionate about utilizing her artistic passion to fill the space between art, technology and business. The entrepreneurial spirit of her coursework aligns with her goals and encouraged her to explore her interests, which led her to create NOTD.

She works with her business partner, Gary Yang, a sophomore majoring in design, to transfer materials needed for production and discuss stylistic decisions. While Shan focuses on nail designs and creation, Yang helps with strategic choices.

“He helps me a lot in transferring materials and knowing what styles [to create] because I don’t want my nails to all be my personal style,” Shan said.

The pair source all of their materials from Shan’s hometown, Shanghai, China. She expressed that while the outcome is incredibly rewarding, gathering materials is a tedious process.

“That’s the most challenging part because I need to prepare everything and bring it back to America, like my gels and materials for nails,” Shan said. “All the materials for nails [in China] are much cheaper than in the U.S. That’s also where most of the profit comes from.”

Shan creates all of the pieces herself. The nails vary in length, style and color, making them perfect for various occasions. As a dual passion project for her artistic nature and interest in engaging with the USC community, NOTD aims to put out trendy designs for students to feel comfortable in.

“Every time I do one pair of nails, it takes me over one hour,” Shan said. “Even though I spend a lot of time on nails, I won’t really get tired. I will first design them [based on a] style from Pinterest and online. It’s a fun process of trying different gels, trying different styles, because I always get really excited when I see those pretty nails.”

The aspect of NOTD that Shan finds the most rewarding is showing her finished products to her friends. Their eagerness to try on the nails makes the arduous process worth the time.

“It’s a really good accessory to have attending big events,” said Sydney Wang, a sophomore majoring in business administration, and a friend of Shan’s. “I feel like USC students might be oriented to buy these products instead of spending over $50 every month.”

Additionally, Sarah Fan, a sophomore majoring in arts, technology and the business of innovation, learned of NOTD when Shan first conceptualized the business.

“She saw a gap that needed to be filled on campus, which is that the girliesneed nails and nails are very expensive,” Fan said. “This way, she can provide nails for a cheap price. It’s just a good idea.”

By identifying this need around the USC campus, Shan was able to shape her marketing strategy to appeal to students in need.

“I really like having fun marketing campaigns, and I know USC students are really diversified. Everyone has their own nail styles, so I try to make my marketing more diversified, too,” Shan said. “I really like taking photo shoots. One of our best friends, Christine, took all the photo shoots for us.”

Christine Zhang is a sophomore majoring in design. She connected with Shan to choreograph marketing materials, matching the stylistic approach that she had in mind.

“I’m looking forward to the new collection. We’re going to go to the beach and take [photos of it]. I’m always trying to have different styles. I’m still exploring what USC students like,” said Shan.

NOTD currently hosts its store on Instagram, while they work on launching their own website, currently slated for October.

“Just match your mood and make your outfit. That’s my favorite mission,” Shan said.