Weekend viewing guide: Bye to USC football

With Miller Moss and the Trojans on a bye week, you can still get your sports fill.

By HENRY MODE
Junior utility Andrej Grgurevic and the Trojans will host three teams this weekend, including No. 9 UC Irvine and No. 4 Pepperdine. Grgurevic had 21 goals as a sophomore last year and was an All-MSPF Honorable Mention. (Jake Berg / Daily Trojan)

After an electric start to the season, the USC football team will enjoy a well-earned break this weekend in its earliest bye week since 2008. While extra rest and preparation for an upcoming trip to Ann Arbor is a welcome gift for Head Coach Lincoln Riley and the Trojans, the absence of USC football is less ideal for a fanbase energized by two big opening wins. With no Miller Moss, Zachariah Branch and co. until Sept. 21, here is a weekend viewing guide to help Trojan fans get their fill without USC football.

Men’s water polo

No. 3 USC v. No. 9 UC Irvine, Whittier and No. 4 Pepperdine

Head Coach Marko Pintaric and the Trojans (4-0) started their season off on a great note at the Triton Invitational, going undefeated including wins over No. 8 UC Davis (2-2) and No. 10 Long Beach State.

This weekend, USC returns home for three difficult games at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center. The Trojans will be led by sophomore driver Robert López Duart, who scored in all four games at the Triton Invitational, finishing with nine goals and three assists.

The Trojans will take on UC Irvine at 12 p.m. and Whittier at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday before a big showdown with Pepperdine at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

Women’s tennis

Battle in the Bay Classic

The USC women’s tennis team will open fall play this weekend at the Battle in the Bay Classic, which will run from Thursday to Sunday. The Trojans will be led by star junior Emma Charney, who won 30 singles matches last season and was named to the Pac-12 All-Conference First Team.

Charney is seeded fifth overall in the tournament. Also competing will be senior Parker Fry, sophomore Immi Haddad and graduate student Maia Sung. Both Haddad and Sung will be competing for the first time as Trojans.

Football

No. 4 Alabama v. Wisconsin

While the No. 11 Trojans (2-0) will next be in action against No. 17 Michigan (1-1), the next home game for Riley’s squad will come on Sept. 28 against Wisconsin (2-0). While the Badgers may not have been one of the favorites for the Big Ten title coming into the year, they have started their season off well: beating both Western Michigan and South Dakota by double digits.

It is unclear how big of a threat Wisconsin will pose to the Trojans, but its performance on Saturday against Alabama (2-0) should provide a pretty good indication. A scouting report on the Crimson Tide could also be a good idea for Trojan fans with playoff aspirations.

The Badgers and the Crimson Tide will face off on Saturday at 11 a.m. local time.

Football

No. 18 Notre Dame v. Purdue

Going into last week ranked in the top five of the AP Poll, the Fighting Irish (1-1) appeared to be one of, if not the most difficult opponent on USC’s schedule this season.

However, after a shocking upset at the hands of No. 25 Northern Illinois last week, Notre Dame looks extremely vulnerable and has fallen seven spots below the Trojans in the national rankings released on September 9. Fighting Irish Head Coach Marcus Freeman’s quest to re-establish his squad as a playoff contender starts this weekend in West Lafayette against Purdue. If the Boilermakers can make it two losses in a for Notre Dame, Riley and the Trojans may suddenly have one less ranked opponent on their docket this season.

The Boilermakers will welcome the Fighting Irish on Saturday at 3:30 p.m local time.

Football

Bears v. Texans

For those who try their best but just need some USC football, there is some refuge. Former Trojan Heisman-winning quarterback Caleb Williams will take the field for his second NFL start on Sunday. Williams struggled quite a bit in his debut last week, completing just 14 of 29 passes for 93 yards and failing to log his first  touchdown in the NFL.

However, the Bears rode their defense to eke out a 24-17 win and will look to go 2-0 against reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year quarterback CJ Stroud and the Texans. Houston houses three former Trojans of its own, including two rookies and former teammates of Williams: safety Calen Bullock and edge rusher Solomon Byrd. Ex-USC All-American wideout Robert Woods also will suit up for Houston on Sunday.

The battle will be nationally televised on Sunday Night Football, starting at 7:20 p.m. local time on NBC and Peacock.