USC shuts out Indiana in Bloomington

The No. 9 Trojans handed the Hoosiers a 2-0 loss for their seventh win of the fall.

By AVANI LAKKIREDDY
Senior forward Kayla Colbert was tied for USC’s team-high in goals and assists. In the game pictured above, she tallied two assists to help shut out UC Berkeley and in USC’s most recent shut out, she scored the game-sealing goal. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan file photo)

Sunday morning, No. 9 USC came out to Yeagley Field in Bloomington, Indiana in new all-black jerseys to face the Hoosiers. USC beat Purdue Thursday, thanks to a game-winner by freshman forward Faith George, and continued its three-game win streak with a victory over Indiana. 

USC (7-1-1, 3-0-0 Big Ten) and Indiana (5-3-1, 0-3-0 Big Ten) have only played twice before because, historically, they have competed in different conferences. The first meeting was in 2005 when USC destroyed the Hoosiers 6-0. Their second rendezvous came in 2007; Indiana got revenge, taking down the Trojans 2-1. Ironically, 2007 was also the year that USC earned its first NCAA Championship. 

In the first five minutes of the match, Indiana dominated possession, making attacking runs and crosses, but at the Trojans’ backline, all offensive momentum was stifled. USC was first to get a good look at a goal with a corner in the 14th minute and then a free kick in the 15th. Both set pieces posed no problem, as the ball was easily collected by Indiana’s senior goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg.

Possession continued to flip back and forth within the first half. Indiana ran a high press and USC was able to capitalize off of their errors. The Trojans got behind the midfield line and found space, especially through runs on the right side. They also put in a few high, lofted crosses, but were unable to break through to find the back of the net.  

Indiana’s best chance came toward the end of the first half. Senior forward Simone Jackson was called for a foul in USC’s box; however, after video assistant referee check, the referee called no foul and play resumed. 

At half, neither team had notched a goal. It was clearly a defensive battle, as USC had three shots to Indiana’s two.  

Indiana began the second half with offensive momentum, mounting runs on both wings to stretch the USC defense. As a result of these plays, Indiana received a corner in the 52nd minute. Graduate defender Avery Snead headed the ball before sophomore midfielder Kennedy Neighbors did the same until the ball veered slightly right of the USC goal. 

Eventually, the momentum shifted back in the Trojans’ favor, culminating in the 63rd minute. USC junior defender Molly McDougal sent a long ball to the edge of the Hoosiers’ box. After some errant touches in the area, senior midfielder Helena Sampaio picked up the ball, flicked it over Indiana junior midfielder Olivia Rush and volleyed the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal. 

The goal marks Sampaio’s second goal of the season — the first, a game-winner against Washington. Sampaio has also provided three assists for the Trojans in her senior season. 

Four minutes later, in the 67th, USC doubled its score tally with another skillful finish by senior forward Kayla Colbert. This goal was defined by teamwork as the Trojans steadily built up play from the backline. Sampaio lofted the ball onto the edge of the box and freshman forward Jaiden Anderson back-heel flicked the ball to a running Colbert, who neatly finished the sequence in the top left corner of the goal. 

Colbert is now tied with senior forward Maile Hayes in goals scored for USC, with both scoring three this season. Colbert also led the Trojans in points last season with 18 total. 

Indiana mounted some pressure in the latter part of the second half, but USC graduate goalkeeper Laurence Gladu handled its efforts well. Gladu won Woman of the Match in USC’s last game against Purdue, as USC continues in its third straight shutout. 

The win marks the Trojans’ seventh of the season and third in Big Ten play. Due to the ongoing construction of Rawlinson Stadium, USC has played every game thus far on the road. The Trojans’ away stretch ends this week with their first home game Thursday at 6 p.m. at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California, against Minnesota (8-1-1, 2-1-0 Big Ten).