Football plans bounce back against Wisconsin

USC will vie for their first Big Ten win this week after stumbling at the Big House.

By KASEY KAZLINER
USC football crushed Utah State 48-0 in its home opener. Now, the Trojans return to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum to face the Badgers. (Henry Kofman / Daily Trojan)

In Ann Arbor last weekend, USC’s aggressive air attack met Michigan’s punishing run scheme, and to the Trojans’ demise, the ground game prevailed.

Redshirt junior quarterback Miller Moss was hit 10 times, including four sacks, forcing Head Coach Lincoln Riley to make significant adjustments on the offensive line amid the close bout.

For the No. 13 Trojans (2-1, 0-1 Big Ten), losing to the defending-champion Wolverines (3-1, 1-0) was a “Welcome to the Big Ten” moment, and a learning experience on how physical and intense future conference matchups will be.

Back home and set to face Wisconsin (2-1) Saturday, USC will look to push the blue-and-yellow scratch on its record to the back burner and get to full speed against a Badgers team that is coming off a bye week.

Like USC, Wisconsin played a ranked squad in its most recent game but suffered a blowout loss against Alabama (3-0). Ranking 96th in total offense, the Badgers received more salt in their wounds when starting quarterback redshirt senior Tyler Van Dyke tore his ACL forcing Head Coach Luke Fickell to pivot ahead of the team’s trip to Los Angeles.

The injury news means that for the second week in a row, USC will face a signal-caller with rather limited collegiate experience. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Braedyn Locke will take the reins for Fickell’s group Saturday.

The Trojans’ aforementioned offensive line unit couldn’t hold firm against Michigan following two solid games in which the group only allowed two total sacks. Redshirt freshman offensive lineman Elijah Paige and sophomore offensive lineman Alani Noa were benched in the loss, raising questions about how the unit’s confidence would regenerate ahead of playing a Wisconsin team with six sacks on the year.

“[Paige] was cramping pretty heavily, which certainly didn’t help,” Riley said at Tuesday’s practice. “O-line included, we all have got to take steps.”

The offensive line wasn’t the only glaring problem in Week 4, with USC’s defense showing shades of the team’s 2023 tackling woes by allowing an abundance of momentum-swinging explosive plays.

“We saw 47 runs and played 43 of them like a bunch of bosses,” Riley said. “It doesn’t excuse the fact that the three long ones that got out, we’ve got to make those 10- or 12-yard runs.”

As the Badgers’ rushing attack is nowhere near as productive as that of the Wolverines, the Trojans will aim to make yet another statement on defense like they did in the first two weeks of the season. Wisconsin lost two fumbles against the Crimson Tide, so USC will hope that the Badgers have similar ball-security struggles in the upcoming matchup.

Riley was faced with grueling decisions against the Wolverines — from debating tossing the challenge flag and general play-calling — since the Trojans couldn’t set the tone early on.

Now, back on home soil and against the injury-ridden Badgers, USC’s goal will be to preserve every offensive series and take chances — something it didn’t necessarily do last weekend.  Moss wasn’t given opportunities to consistently air the ball out with the offensive line’s mishaps erasing his time.

“I take my preparation really seriously,” Moss said. “When you’re unsuccessful, you go back to the drawing board.”

Redshirt senior running back Woody Marks settled in during the intense Michigan dogfight with another 100-yard performance, but Riley and co. would certainly like to establish the run game earlier and utilize Marks’ agility against the Badgers.

The Trojans will see familiar faces as Wisconsin Safeties Coach Alex Grinch returns to his former place of employment, where he spent two seasons before receiving a pink slip late last season. Badgers sophomore linebacker and former four-star recruit Tackett Curtis will also seek revenge against his former team, as he suited up for USC under Grinch in 2023.

Redshirt senior safety Akili Arnold, redshirt junior tight end Lake McRee and sophomore wide receiver Makai Lemon all suffered injuries in Ann Arbor, and according to Riley, Arnold is likely the only one with a realistic return chance for Saturday.

The Trojans will have another chance to win their first-ever Big Ten conference matchup, as the disappointing fall at the Big House will certainly spark a sense of urgency within the team’s struggling areas. USC won’t be able to get too comfortable, though, as the team will have alternating home and away matchups for the entire season with multiple marquee battles.

“The confidence has got to come from our preparation,” said redshirt senior center Jonah Monheim. “It’s got to come from another great week of practice, and I thought we’ve prepared well.”

The Trojans’ six-game winning streak against the Badgers was snapped in 2015 during the teams’ Holiday Bowl bout, which is still Wisconsin’s only all-time victory against USC.

The Badgers will make their one-and-only West Coast trip to tussle with the Trojans on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the stadium’s first Big Ten conference matchup.