Crimes decrease around UPC

The Department of Public Safety report a showed 6.8% drop in crimes reported. 

By QUINTEN SEGHERS
(Keera Bhakta / Daily Trojan)

Content warning: This article contains references to sexual assault and rape

Reported crimes decreased 6.8% around the University Park Campus in 2023 compared to 2022, according to the Department of Public Safety’s 2024 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report released Friday. 

Colleges and universities that receive federal funding are required to document, track and publish how many crimes happen on or nearby their campuses. The Clery Act, which mandates these yearly reports, contains four required categories: criminal offenses; alcohol, drug and weapon violations; hate crimes; and Violence Against Women Act crimes.

All crimes reported to DPS are included in this report, but if a student is the victim of a crime on campus and files a report with the Los Angeles Police Department, that may not be included in DPS’s annual report. If the LAPD investigates a crime that took place on or near campus and concluded there wasn’t enough evidence to confirm the allegations, the incident is placed in an “unfounded” category. 

The most common crime was motor vehicle thefts, which accounted for 51.5% of all crimes reported in 2023. DPS Assistant Chief David Carlisle said in a press conference with campus media that this category is misleading at first glance. Out of the 297 motor vehicle thefts reported, 241 of them were either electric scooters, bikes, skateboards or golf carts.  

“You see these numbers for 2023, you’re thinking ‘Oh my gosh, 297 cars were stolen and driven off campus’ — that’s not the case,” Carlisle said. “Almost all of these are electric scooters … The numbers skyrocketed because they have become so popular.”

DPS is combatting the rapid increase in e-scooter thefts, in part, by personally locking any unsecured e-scooters they come across. Students who leave their scooters or bikes unsecured may find a DPS lock on it and a note detailing how they can get an officer to release it. Carlisle encouraged students to register their vehicles with DPS.

The next largest crime categories were aggravated assault with 53 reported instances, burglary with 52 reported instances and stalking with 43 reported instances. The categories aggravated assault, burglary and arson saw slight increases, but there were fewer instances of stalking, fondling and rape in 2023 compared to 2022. 

The number of rapes dropped from 35 in 2022 to 22 in 2023. In 2023, 12 rapes took place in residence halls, four were on campus and another six were off campus. Carlisle said nearly all of these rapes involved acquaintances — not strangers — and alcohol.  

“We tell individuals to go with the group,” Carlisle said. “Have a person that you trust that’s not going to be consuming alcohol to sort of be a chaperone. If the situation doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. We have a saying: ‘Trojans care for Trojans.’ Take care of each other. Watch out for each other.”

Carlisle said all DPS officers go through trauma-informed care training to ensure they respond empathetically to those who are victims of gender and power-based harm. 

DPS also hosts Rape Aggression Defense System classes that students, faculty, staff and community members can attend free of charge. Attendees learn how to recognize dangerous situations, utilize defensive concepts and wield self-defense tactics.

Sumaya Rahman, a sophomore majoring in neuroscience, said she feels the USC campus is safer than its surroundings.
“Everyone tells me it’s just a rough area,” Rahman said. “Sometimes when I’m walking off-campus there’s [unhoused] people, that can be dangerous … So maybe more security in that regard, just given the fact that there’s a negative stigma already placed around this area.”

There were 72 crimes reported to DPS on or nearby the Health Sciences Campus in 2023, compared to UPC’s 577 total reported crimes. There were no hate crimes reported at HSC in 2023, but UPC saw a jump from 6 hate crimes in 2022 to 15 hate crimes in 2023.
The 2024 crime report featured messages from President Carol Folt and Chief Lauretta Hill in which they emphasized their commitment to live up to the ONE USC Safety Vision — a set of guiding principles on how to make all members of the Trojan community feel safe.

“We’re talking about helping to create that environment where everyone feels comfortable approaching DPS and they see us as their allies in keeping campus safe where everyone on both sides is respected and we have open communication,” Carlisle said. “We hope our students realize that we’re there for them.”

If you are in need of support, here are some resources you can contact:

USC Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention and Services: Located at Engemann Student Health Center Suite 356. Individuals can call (213)-740-9355 and request to speak with an advocate or counselor. Services are confidential.

Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN): A free, confidential hotline that is active 24/7. Individuals can call (800)-656-4673.