Stream frightening, funny October content

Find shows — from fresh to familiar — to fiddle with this second month of fall.

By FABIÁN GUTIÉRREZ
Drama and tension collide in the debut television show “The Penguin,” which displays a stellar performance of Colin Farrel in the titular character. The DC Comics supervillain finally gets a spotlight on his rise to power. (Macall Polay / HBO)

As the autumn chill fully sets in, grocery stores begin to sell obscene amounts of candy and the anxious smell of oncoming midterms swells in the air, there is no other option than to curl up alongside a streaming service and watch the day away. In light of this crucial matter, the Daily Trojan would like to offer up some entertaining — perhaps even spooky — shows to stream this month.

“Heartstopper” Season 3, Netflix

You might think of October media and issues of the heart and perhaps assume a horror show was to blame. However, romance aficionados will no doubt rejoice at the surprise that collective circulatory issues are, this time, a matter of love.

Fan favorite “Heartstopper” returns with its third season, bringing a continuation to its story of teen love between two seemingly opposite boys. This tale of fledgling romance is told through a unique and creative lens that mixes live-action and animation. Most crucially, fans will not have to wait to see more sparks fly — as this new chapter releases Oct. 3.

“The Legend of Vox Machina” Season 3, Prime Video

Another widely-beloved show adds its third installment on the third day of the month. “Dungeons & Dragons”-inspired “The Legend of Vox Machina” takes the originally improvised and on-the-spot D&D campaigns from the massively popular performers at Critical Role, and turns them into a consolidated — and critically acclaimed — animated series.

The original role-playing tabletop campaign started off as friends having fun on their off time. Amazingly, “Vox Machina” now allows the same people who began their narrative simply playing a game to bring these same characters back to life, but this time in a recording booth. The cast certainly did not let this ambitious idea spook them this Halloween month, as the release of its brand-new season is also slated for Thurssday.

“Teacup,” Peacock

To begin ushering in the best of October entertainment — the kind of content that gets your heart beating and fear building — consider the upcoming horror series from genre icon James Wan. The mind behind creepy hits such as “Saw” (2004), “Insidious” (2010) and “The Conjuring” (2013) has a brand-new, equally eerie endeavor.

“Teacup” tells the story of a rural community in Georgia, and how the town bands together despite the residents’ differences to face a threat shrouded in enigma. The cast is led by “The Handmaid’s Tale” and “Dexter” veteran Yvonne Strahovski, alongside “Grey’s Anatomy” star Scott Speedman. The series will release two episodes at a time weekly, up until Halloween, starting Oct. 10.

“Disclaimer,” Apple TV+

Keeping the thrills top of the list — with a mystery that seems more realistic but just as terrifying — consider the newest show from storied Academy award-winning director Alfonso Cuarón.

“Disclaimer,” based on the novel of the same name by Renée Knight, follows a documentary journalist whose career in exposing others’ malfeasance seems to have some karmic payback as she herself is on the verge of being exposed. The protagonist Catherine Ravenscroft is played by Cate Blanchett, opposite fellow Oscar-winner Kevin Kline, alongside what promises to be a cast fully studded with shining stars.

Thrills and blackmail will abound when “Disclaimer” debuts Oct. 11.

“What We Do in the Shadows” Season 6, Hulu

Just in time for the scariest time of the month, vampire comedy “What We Do in the Shadows” will open its final season this October. The satirical take on the famed horror genre is the culmination of a media franchise that started nearly two decades ago with the first short film, and also spans a feature-length production alongside two different television series.

The irreverence of vampire roommates Nandor (Kayvan Novak), Laszlo (Matt Berry), Nadja (Natasia Demetriou) and Colin Robinson (Mark Proksch), alongside the fellow blood-sucking Guide (Kristen Schaal) and human Guillermo (Harvey Guillén) comes to a haunting conclusion. Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi’s garlic-disliking, upside-down-hanging comic endeavor begins its closing season Oct. 21 on FX, to be released on Hulu the day after for the following weeks up until the finale.

“The Penguin,” Max

The newest addition to Matt Reeves’ new Batman universe, “The Penguin” takes a stab at following the iconic comic book villain in his mission to fill a power vacuum in Gotham City’s underbelly of crime and betrayal.

Evidently, this series debuted some days ago, and will waddle on past this month and onto the next, with the finale arriving Nov. 10. However, every Sunday for the next four weeks, the drama and tension of this supervillain origin story will continue to crescendo — in no small part thanks to the stellar and committed performance of lead Colin Farrell, constantly endowed with two-and-a-half hours’ worth of prosthetics and makeup.