USC vs. Minnesota — live updates

Last updated:
USC Football Live Scores

Scoring plays

Win probability

• Henry Kofman / Daily Trojan
    📌 PINNED
    Henry Mode from Huntington Bank Stadium.

The Trojans lead 17-10 after a good start to the second half and a touchdown from redshirt senior running back Woody Marks, who is up to 123 scrimmage yards on the day.

Some further reading:

SCORE: USC – 17 Minnesota – 10

The game at a glance:

Field Goal Gophers, Q1 0:05.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS. Q2 7:13, Moss to Robinson. KICK GOOD.

Touchdown Gophers. Q2 4:05, Brosmer. KICK GOOD.

FIELD GOAL TROJANS, Q2 0:00.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS. Q3 5:47, Marks. KICK GOOD.

9:19

Touchdown Gophers.

Brosmer sees a gap in the Trojan defense and takes off, running it in from five yards out for his second score of the day on the ground. We are all notched up at 17-17 with 7:08 left.

9:15

As big of a day as Marks is having, Taylor is matching it for the Gophers. Minnesota’s running back is up to 181 scrimmage yards as it approaches the red zone.

9:11

Here come the Gophers. 22 yards on a screen for Taylor and the Minnesota offense is into Trojan territory after one play.

9:08

With Marks still running wild, the Trojans turn away from the run against the top-ranked pass defense in the Big Ten, and promptly turn it over. Moss gets hit while winding up to throw and is intercepted by Gophers redshirt junior linebacker Devon Williams. Minnesota takes over at its own 35, down seven points with 10:11 to go.

9:02

The Woody show still running here in Minneapolis. Marks breaks free for 20 up the middle, busting the Trojans out of field position jail.

9:00

Redshirt senior defensive tackle Gavin Meyer knocks down a pass from Brosmer, and the punt team is coming out. The Trojans will start at their own four-yard line after another good effort from Gophers fifth-year punter Mark Crawford.

8:57

End of the third quarter as a prolonged Minnesota drive continues. The Gophers are keeping it pretty simple for Brosmer, but are moving the chains. It will be a crucial 3rd & 8 from the USC 37-yard line when we get back from the break.

8:53

It’s back-to-back big plays for the Trojans on defense. Taylor is stuffed on 3rd & 2, leading to a big decision for Fleck who burns a timeout. The Gophers eventually opt to keep the offense out there, and, after a measurement, just barely get a first down after a direct snap to Taylor.

8:48

First sack on the day for the Trojan defense, its redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Devan Thompkins who brings down Brosmer.

8:42

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

USC leads 17-10 after a wildcat touchdown by Marks, who is having a huge day. 123 scrimmage yards for Marks and a seven-point lead for the Trojans with 5:47 left in the third quarter.

8:39

1st & 10 at the Minnesota 24 for the Trojans after a nine-yard run by Marks, who is up to 106 yards scrimmage yards on the day.

8:28

After the disastrous first play of the half, the Trojan defense wakes up, forcing a punt after an misfire from Brosmer on third down. USC offense will start at its own nine-yard line after a good punt.

8:25

Brosmer nearly doubles his first half passing output immediately, as a screen pass to graduate running back Marcus Major goes for 25. Gophers in USC territory after two plays.

8:24

After deferring the first half kickoff, Minnesota’s offense will get us back underway here as the second half begins. The Gophers have dominated in the run game so far, with 18 carries for 118 yards and a touchdown in the opening 30 minutes. Brosmer was pretty quiet through the air, with just 38 passing yards, so will be interesting to see how USC Defensive Coordinator D’Anton Lynn adjusts to start the third quarter.

8:03

Halftime in Minneapolis after a huge moment for Lantz, an ex-Gopher. After missing from 47 earlier, the Trojans’ kicker hits from 49, but Fleck got in a timeout prior to the attempt and the Trojans pick up a false start after the stoppage. However, Lantz hits from a (by far) career long 54 yards and the game is tied at 10-10 at the break.

7:58 PM

Enormous play from the Trojan defense. With the Gophers in the midst of another good drive, Ramsey forces a fumble and gets the ball back to the USC offense. Marks picks up 17 yards on a one-handed catch and the Trojans should be in field goal range. 2nd & 6 from the Gopher 32 with twelve seconds left in the half.

7:49 PM

Well the conversion and ensuing run were big, but the next play was even bigger. Joyner gets lose again, picking up 21 yards up the middle, but the ball is punched out by Minnesota freshman defensive back Koi Perich and the Gophers get the ball back with 1:51 to go in the half.

7:48 PM

Hard to emphasize just how big that conversion on 3rd & 8 from Moss to sophomore wideout Makai Lemon was. Trojans avoid the three-and-out following the Minnesota score and cross midfield after a nine-yard rush by redshirt freshman running back Quentin Joyner.

7:43 PM

Touchdown Gophers.

Backed up for naught, the Gophers are back in front after a six-yard completion to redshirt sophomore wideout Cristian Driver and a quarterback sneak for a touchdown from graduate quarterback Max Brosmer. 10-7 Minnesota with 4:05 left until the break.

7:38 PM

After a pass interference penalty on redshirt senior cornerback Jacobe Covington sets up the Gophers at the two-yard line, a huge tackle-for-loss by senior linebacker Easton Mascarenas-Arnold brings the Minnesota offense back five yards. Full timeout called by Gopher Head Coach PJ Fleck before a 2nd & Goal from the seven-yard line with 4:24 remaining in the half.

7:35 PM

Huge play for the Minnesota offense as Taylor breaks loose for 41 yards down the right sideline, and nine more are tacked on after a face mask penalty on redshirt senior linebacker Mason Cobb. 1st & Goal at the nine-yard line for the Gophers.

7:29 PM

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

Moss hits sophomore wideout Duce Robinson on a slant in the end zone and USC is finally on the board. 7-3 Trojans with 7:13 to go in the first half.

7:20 PM

Trojans cross midfield after a big third down conversion from Moss to Hudson. Redshirt senior running back Woody Marks has been big so far on this drive, with 4 carries for 31 yards.

7:14 PM

After a kickoff and another incompletion from Moss, we have reached the end of the first quarter. 3-0 Minnesota as the growing Trojan trend of slow starts continues.

7:13 PM

The Gophers try to catch the Trojan defense off guard with a draw on 3rd & 7, but come up two yards short of a first down. The kicking team comes out, met with loud boos from the home fans, but Minnesota fifth-year kicker Dragan Kesich is good from 39 and the Gophers take a 3-0 lead with five seconds left in the first quarter.

7:08 PM

Minnesota is getting anything they want in the run game against a senior linebacker Eric Gentry-less USC defense. 55 rush yards on eight attempts for the Gophers who have moved into the red zone.

7:02 PM

USC is punting again after redshirt junior quarterback Miller Moss can’t connect with redshirt junior wide reciever Kyron Hudson on third down. 1st & 10 Gophers from their own 37 after a 50-yard effort from senior punter Eddie Czaplicki.

6:55 PM

After all the excitement, the USC defense is able to reorient and force a punt after some good pressure from redshirt sophomore safety Kamari Ramsey on third down. Branch watches the ball go out of bounds at the USC 10, which is where the Trojan offense will start.

6:52 PM

Great start for the Gopher offense as sophomore running back Darius Taylor gets loose in the secondary and absolutely demolishes USC redshirt senior safety Akili Arnold. Pick up of 17 and Minnesota are into Trojan territory.

6:48 PM

After marching down the field on a long, methodical drive, the Trojans are forced to attempt a field goal deep in Minnesota territory after a brutal drop by wide-open sophomore wideout Zachariah Branch on third down. USC opted to bring out the field goal unit, but redshirt sophomore kicker Michael Lantz could not hit from 47 yards out. Still 0-0 with 9:25 to go in the first quarter.

6:38 PM

Minnesota wins the coin toss. The Gophers defer, and the Trojan offense will start with the ball.

6:15 PM

15 minutes to kick here at Huntington Bank Stadium. The sun should set at about 6:45, as the stage is set for a big conference battle under the dark Minneapolis sky.