Rare Books LA brings literary treasures to Union Station

The fair offered a weekend filled with remarkable finds and talks for the fall season.

By LARA GRAVES
Rare Books LA returned to Union Station to celebrate an annual event of literary history and the art of the printed page featuring a plethora of collectible classic artifacts. (Jonathan Park / Daily Trojan)

Rare Books LA returned to Union Station on Oct. 5-6 for the second time, hosting its annual celebration of literary history and the art of the printed page. The event transformed the historic Ticket Concourse into a haven for bibliophiles, collectors and history enthusiasts, offering them an unparalleled opportunity to explore some of the rarest and most unique books, manuscripts and printed ephemera in existence. This year, the event embraced a seasonal twist with the theme “Eerie Editions” to kick off Halloween. Attendees hunted for “Spooky Tales” signs at select booksellers’ booths throughout the event.

Brought together by over 50 leading dealers and exhibitors from across the country and abroad, the showcase featured a stunning array of works. Visitors could stumble upon treasures like a first-edition paperback copy of “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” or the only inscribed copy of the final “Narnia” book — perfect for fulfilling any collector’s childhood dreams. For history buffs, a 1883-84 directory for Los Angeles offered a fascinating glimpse into the city’s cultural diversity and profiles. And for art lovers, a book entirely dedicated to collective nouns for birds featured intricate, hand-carved wood designs by the artist.

USC Libraries Special Collections curator Suzanne Noruschat went to the fair in search of materials to expand USC’s collections, which give students access to primary sources for research and projects.

“There’s a whole wealth of history that students can access,” Noruschat said. “The real stuff, not like reading about it secondhand in a book, but actually going to find the real artifact and using it, which is really nice. Our purpose is really to have students interact with [these] materials.”

A highlight of the event was a series of talks by literary professionals, including Metro archivist Claire Kennedy, Taschen editor Jim Heimann and L.A. city librarian John Szabo, who shared their love for the rare book trade, literary history and the art of preservation.

Heimann spoke about how childhood stories about L.A. nightclubs, shared by his parents, sparked his passion for collecting the city’s history. Over the years, he’s built an impressively endless collection by scouring flea markets and book fairs.

“I’m obsessed that I can actually hold a piece of history in my hand, and it’s something from 80 years ago or whatever it was, and it’s like, ‘I have it.’ Someone from that period owned it. And so there was a connection there that was pretty, you know, pretty great,” Heimann said.

For many exhibitors, the event was more than just a book sale — it was a community gathering.

“I like being able to reunite with all the other booksellers and meet collectors. I like meeting our library customers and basically just the social aspect of getting to spend more time with all of these book lovers and book professionals in one room,” said Javier Ortega, a bookseller at Whitmore Rare Books. “It’s very much a community. It’s very tight-knit, but we’re always willing to meet new friends.”

The allure of rare books extends far beyond their monetary value. For many collectors, the thrill lies in the hunt — the process of tracking down a specific edition or a book with a fascinating backstory.

“My favorite thing at book fairs is when I can meet a person, and then they find something, and it’s just the perfect opportunity for them to find each other and it’s something that they treasure,” said Jen Johnson, rare books seller at Johnson Rare Books & Archives and one of the organizers of Rare Books LA.

Rare Books LA, with its rich selection of rare finds and discussions, highlighted the enduring appeal of physical books in an increasingly digital age. Callum Hill, a seller at Peter Harrington, said there is something special about being able to physically hold a book, point to it, have it on your shelf and share it with others.

“With things like signed copies, it’s special because it’s something that the author’s hand has been on, and it’s kind of got their little mark. It almost takes you back there to the moment when this thing came into the world,” Hill said.

The experience of reading a physical book holds a unique charm that digital formats can never fully replicate. The weight of the pages, the texture of the cover and even the scent of the old paper carries the stories of those who once held it, creating a sensory experience that all can learn from.

“I hope [for] a renewed interest in book collecting as more and more of the world around us becomes more and more digital,” said Laurelle Swan, the proprietor of Swan’s Fine Books. “I can read this story online, but for me, I’d rather hold the book in my hands and feel the anticipation of turning every page knowing this was printed … at least 90 years ago, and to know it’s been around the world that long.”