USC falls to the Trees in second loss this season

USC’s formidable defense couldn’t deliver a comeback against the No. 3 Cardinal.

By JUSTIN SUNWOO
Head Coach Marko Pintaric is in his sixth season commanding USC men’s water polo. He reached the NCAA final in three of the past four years. (Jake Berg / Daily Trojan)

The No. 2 USC men’s water polo team suffered a bitter loss this weekend, falling to No. 3 Stanford 8-6 in a tough defensive battle Sunday at Uytengsu Aquatics Center. Despite a solid defensive performance, the Trojans struggled offensively, which cost them their first conference loss, bringing their overall record to 12-2. 

Early in the game, Stanford (13-1, 2-0 MPSF) set the tone, scoring a 5-0 lead before the Trojans (12-2, 1-1 MPSF) could adjust to Stanford’s offensive firepower. USC needed help to make key plays, going from 0-for-11 to 6-on-5 opportunities.

“We pretty much went through every single combination that we had,” said Head Coach Marko Pintaric in an interview with the Daily Trojan. “We went back to our basics that we were executing great this season, and credit to their defense. You know, our guys were not aggressive enough, or they were not setting each other up.”

Despite these struggles, USC managed to get on the scoring board through a goal set up by junior utility Andrej Grgurevic and finished by senior 2-meter Luka Brnetic. Sophomore driver Robert López Duart scored another goal just before halftime, shrinking the deficit to 5-2. 

“The beginning was tough,” López Duart said. “We didn’t figure out how to attack.¨

In the third quarter, USC´s offense struggled as Stanford extended its lead to six goals up 8-2. Despite the deficit, the Trojans regained momentum in the fourth quarter. They scored four goals, including a converted penalty shot from fifth-year 2-meter Max Miller. 

However, the hopeful comeback came up short. 

Pintaric acknowledged USC’s determination to win but noted its limited ability to capitalize on offensive openings, specifically power plays. 

“Offensively, I still think defense was good because we allowed only eight goals and we still played five-on-six defense,” Pintaric said. “In every element of our game, defensively, we achieved our goals.” 

Pintaric also pointed out the Trojans’ lack of execution on offense.

“[It was] one of those days,” Pintaric said. “We really didn’t execute and didn’t put the ball in the cage.”

López Duart, who scored three of USC’s six goals, attributed the productivity of his season so far to the team’s chemistry. 

“It’s the group, like honestly … I have the chance to get close to the cage and my coach gives me confidence,” López Duart said. “My teammates help. It’s like a big family and that’s what makes me productive.”

With their next game day being a double feature against Westcliff University (6-11, 0-0 Cal Pac) and Loyola Marymount University (8-6, 0-0 WCC), López Duart expressed the team’s aim to stay focused and driven. 

“We just have to be more concentrated [and not] get nervous,” López Duart said. “We know that we’re going to score because we have like 15 players that can score every time.”

The Trojans will reflect on their mistakes from the Stanford match heading into Friday’s slate of back-to-back road games. They will aspire to increase offensive firepower and continue their strong defensive plays in recovery from their loss.