Volleyball faces Oregon, UCLA

USC aims for its third win in a row in Big Ten battles with the Ducks and Bruins.

By AVANI LAKKIREDDY
Graduate outside hitter Ally Batenhorst, who transferred to USC this summer after three seasons at Nebraska, has 213 kills so far this season. (Henry Kofman / Daily Trojan)

After a startling comeback win against Michigan and a big upset victory over then-No. 12 Minnesota at home, women’s volleyball continues to prowl through its Big Ten matchups. USC will face No. 11 Oregon in Eugene on Wednesday before facing UCLA back at Galen Center Sunday.

“We talk a lot about our heart and our pillars and our grit and being tough, and it’s been like a four-year process. This team did not quit,” said Head Coach Brad Keller in a postgame press conference about the thrilling win against Michigan from two sets down. “I want to make a special shout out to the leaders of this team who led by example and did a fantastic job.”

First up for No. 16 USC (11-3, 3-1 Big Ten) at the Matthew Knight Arena, Keller’s squad takes on the Ducks (11-2, 3-1). USC and Oregon have both gotten off to impressive starts, with both squads winning three of their first four conference battles. After their impressive performances over the weekend, the Trojans climbed five places in the national rankings, while Oregon held steady at No.11.

The Trojans’ main focus for this weekend’s games is to grow out of a barrage of slow starts the team has had over the course of the season, often going one set down before eventually building momentum back up and winning the match.

“We’ve learned how to take a few punches, and then we’ve learned how to hit back,” said senior setter Mia Tuaniga in a press conference after the win over Michigan. “When we get in survival mode, when we get in fight mode, I wholeheartedly believe in this team, but it’s, ‘how can we start our games in that mode?’”

Oregon and USC have played each other 76 times before, all of them as Pacific-12 schools before making the transition to the Big Ten this year. The two teams’ last meeting came in November of last year, when USC lost 3-1 against the Ducks. In recent history, Oregon has dominated, winning seven out of 10 matchups with the Trojans.

A USC standout so far this season is graduate outside hitter Ally Batenhorst, who had a career-high 20 kills in last weekend’s game against Michigan. Batenhorst, a transfer from Nebraska, has been an important offensive outlet with 213 kills and 16 service aces so far this year.

“You’re talking about a young lady that played for a powerhouse program in Nebraska, been to two national championships, so someone who knows what it takes to play in front of crowds and win,” Keller said. “There’s nothing short of experience and if you get more experienced with something, you get really good at it. She’s not afraid of it. We need every single play from her.”

On the defensive end, redshirt junior middle blocker Tyrah Ariail has recorded 54 block assists and six solo blocks. Redshirt sophomore opposite hitter Adonia Faumuina and Tuaniga have also been vital on the defensive side, with the two notching 45 and 41 blocks, respectively.

On Oregon’s side, junior outside hitter Mimi Colyer has 156 kills, 12 service aces and 92 digs for the Ducks, leading the team in kills. Close behind Colyer is redshirt senior middle blocker Onye Ofoegbu, who has put up 114 kills and leads the team with 60 blocks so far this year.

Later in the weekend, the Trojans will fly back to Los Angeles to take on their crosstown rivals, UCLA (7-6, 1-3). It will be the first installation of the historic USC-UCLA volleyball rivalry with the teams in the Big Ten.

With USC’s near-perfect record, the Bruins face an uphill battle, as UCLA has lost three out of four games in Big Ten play. UCLA also battled Minnesota and Michigan in its most recent games, taking both teams to five sets. However, the Bruins eventually took two brutal losses against their conference foes.

As for individual standouts, UCLA graduate middle blocker Anna Dodson recorded a career-high 24.5 points and 20 kills in the Bruins’ battle with Minnesota. For the season as a whole, Dodson has 99 kills and eight service aces.

Additionally, junior outside hitter Cheridyn Leverette has put up 170 kills, seven aces and 16 blocks for the Bruins.

USC and UCLA’s rivalry has been tense within the last decade, with each team splitting their last five matchups. The Trojans and Bruins’ last meeting came last year in a five-set loss for USC on Nov. 24 at Galen Center.

Interestingly enough, Keller has experience coaching the men’s and women’s volleyball teams at both USC and UCLA.

The Trojans first take to the court in Eugene on Wednesday at 6 p.m.  Then, USC will return home for “The Battle of LA,” facing the Bruins at Galen Center Sunday at 4:30 p.m.