Jewish Voice for Peace Sukkot canceled by University

Students relocated the event to the North Trousdale entrance.

By ZACHARY WHALEN
Jewish Voice for Peace USC’s poster featured the words “Solidarity Sukkah” and a banner featuring the colors of the Palestinian flag. (Jonathan Park / Daily Trojan)

Jewish Voice for Peace USC — an advocacy group not recognized by the University — said Monday morning its “Solidarity Sukkot,” which USC approved Sept. 24 to be held at the University Religious Center, was canceled by the University because their poster “[appeared] political.” The poster featured the words “Solidarity Sukkah” and a banner featuring the colors of the Palestinian flag.  

A media liaison for JVP, who requested anonymity for fear of being doxxed, told the Daily Trojan that the University said the event had to be approved by the dean of Religious Life, and “political events” could not be held at the University Religious Center. 

“[The University stated it canceled the event because] it was a political event instead of religious event, even though it is inherently a religious event,” the liaison said. “It’s Sukkot, a holiday that … Jews across the world are celebrating right now. They informed us that we could no longer have our religious event in a religious space that is open to all students.”

In a statement to the Daily Trojan, the University stated that JVP could not reserve the space because they were not an RSO.

“Under University policy, Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) can reserve campus space for programs and events. In this case, the organization that requested space isn’t an RSO.”

The event was moved to be in front of the gates at the North Trousdale entrance. USC Chabad, a pro-Israel religious organization, was allowed to hold Sukkot on- campus. According to JVP’s media liaison, this indicates the way the University decides which events are political is “clearly unequal.”

“Even the slightest mention of Palestine incurs immediate repression and silencing, even when it comes from Jews, despite the University’s claims that they’re protecting Jewish students. As we see right now, they’re only protecting Zionist Jewish students,” the liaison said.

USC Chabad did not respond to a request for comment in time for publication.

The media liaison said Sukkot had direct connections to the “ongoing genocide” in Palestine, as the holiday commemorated the time when Jewish people were exiled from Egypt and their resilience during exile as well as their connection to the land.

“We are anti-Zionist Jews who see immediate connection between the plight of the Palestinian people facing genocide and the plight of our ancestors, who were also facing displacement,” the liaison said.

The media liaison said they hoped the event would commence without interruption and hold teachings, create art and be with the community. They said as Jewish people, they felt a responsibility to speak out against the “ongoing genocide” in Palestine.

“As people who experienced a genocide and have experienced displacement, oppression, persecution, throughout history, when we see it happening to another group of people, it is our responsibility in particular … especially when it’s being committed in the name of Judaism, to speak out against this,” the liaison said.

Dhruv Reddy contributed to this report.