‘Scream’ at these screenings

Halloween is almost here, so here are a few films to prepare for the spooky season.

By JEFFERSON HERNANDEZ SEGOVIA

Every Halloween, friends and family gather around to watch their favorite horror films. From the supernatural to squeamish body horror, the diverse genre has a film for everyone. Here are seven films you should enjoy watching this October that will give you goosebumps.

“Scream” (1996)
Serial killer films have always been popular, but “Scream” offered a refreshing take on the subgenre. By satirizing popular horror tropes, Scream became a classic, inspiring other teen slashers like “I Know What You Did Last Summer” (1997). Its self-awareness and complex characters make it a must-watch this season. Randy Meeks (Jamie Kennedy) steals the show due to his knowledge of horror classics, explaining the rules of the movie to the characters and the audience.

“Raw” (2016)
French filmmaker Julia Ducournau creates some visually gruesome scenes as Justine (Garance Marillier), a student at a prestigious veterinarian school, eats raw meat for the first time, pushing away her vegan principles. Her family structure seems inescapable as Justine’s parents expect her to follow their legacies, but she quickly realizes this entails craving human flesh. Can you escape your true self? You must watch “Raw” to find out because its allegorical storytelling runs deeper than expected.

“X” (2022)
Ti West’s film, later spawning a trilogy, takes us back to the late ’70s with a star-studded cast consisting of Mia Goth, Kid Cudi, Brittany Snow and Jenna Ortega. The film takes inspiration from “The Texas Chain Saw Massacre” (1974), but it tackles issues of aging and sexuality in the process.

Since the main character’s goal is to shoot a pornographic film, the crew stops by a ranch in the middle of Texas, but they do not know that the owners abhor their depravity. The film crew quickly realizes that they may not make it out alive of Pearl (Mia Goth) and Howard’s (Stephen Ure) wrath. “X” cemented Mia Goth and Jenna Ortega as scream queens, performing above and beyond a traditional horror performance.

“It Follows” (2014)
“It Follows” slowly rose to draw a cult following after premiering at the Cannes Film Festival. The film received appraisal for its deep commentary and acting performances that highlight teenage anguish. The plot follows teenage protagonist Jay (Maika Monroe), who must escape a monster only she can see.

The monster follows the last person that someone had sex with, like a virus. Jay’s problem escalates when, no matter how hard she attempts, she can’t get rid of the monster and society’s stigma against female sexuality. Monroe’s performance showcases a variety of range when she becomes overcome with emotions because she can’t escape this curse.

“Train to Busan” (2016)
If you are more of an action fan, “Train to Busan” is the perfect film for you. The South Korean zombie flick follows Seok-woo (Gong Yoo) as he must save his daughter and himself from a zombie epidemic when they board a train to Busan.

The fight scenes are epic and choreographed in a way that will bring you to the edge of your seat, but the father-daughter relationship is what ties the film together in an emotional blanket. While this may not be the “scariest” film on the list, it is a good time, especially if enjoyed with friends.

“Child’s Play” (1988)
“Child’s Play”’s Chucky remains one of the most iconic horror characters of all time. From his diabolical laugh to his peculiar walk, the doll knows how to scare. In this classic, the audience follows Andy (Alex Vincent) as he tries to break free from Chucky (Brad Dourif), who is possessing his body. In the process, Chucky commits a few murders to fulfill his violent path as a serial killer, which started plenty of doll phobias along the way.

“The Substance”
Body horror. Demi Moore. Margaret Qualley. What else do you need? “The Substance” follows an aging celebrity who obtains a black market substance to create a “more perfect” version of herself. When Elizabeth Sparkle (Moore) misuses the drug, weird effects start happening to her body.

The film is an overt critique of Hollywood’s absurd beauty standards, but its vibrant colors in costume and set designs make it a visual dessert. You should not be surprised this Halloween if you see someone dressed as Sparkle or Sue (Qualley) because their outfits, alongside their performances, fill the room with presence. This diva showdown is a must-watch.