FOOTBALL — 2024-2025

USC vs. Rutgers — as it happened

Last updated:
USC Football Live Scores

Scoring plays

Win probability

📌 PINNED
    Assistant Sports Editor Darrian Merritt and Magazine Editor Sasha Ryu reporting live from Los Angeles, California.

The Trojans host the Scarlet Knights at the L.A. Coliseum hoping to turn the tides on their three game losing streak.

We’re reporting live from the L.A. Coliseum as USC aims to leave its string of fourth quarter failures in the past and get a win against Rutgers. Refresh to see new updates.

Some pregame context:

• This is the first matchup ever between USC and Rutgers.
    • The Trojans have consistently failed to play through all four quarters this season. Read Thomas Johnson’s analysis of USC’s second half collapse against Maryland.

SCORE: USC – 42 Rutgers – 20

The game at a glance:

• TOUCHDOWN TROJANS. Q1 09:58, Marks. KICK GOOD.
    • Field Goal Knights. Q1 04:10, Patel.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS. Q1 02:19, Marks. KICK GOOD.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS. Q2 10:26, Moss to Ford. KICK GOOD.
    • Touchdown Knights. Q2 04:37, Raymond. Kick no good.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS. Q2 09:53, Marks. KICK GOOD.
    • Field Goal Knights. Q2 00:00, Patel.
    • Touchdown Knights. Q3 08:11, Dremel. Two-point conversion.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS. Q3 06:32, Moss. KICK GOOD.
    • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.  Q3 00:22, Moss to Lemon. KICK GOOD.
    11:47 p.m.
    Henry Mode, Sports Editor

On the heels of a three-game losing streak, Head Coach Lincoln Riley and the Trojans got a much needed win Friday night, beating Rutgers 42-20 at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Redshirt senior running back Woody Marks was crucial in securing USC’s second-ever win in Big Ten conference play, racking up 142 scrimmage yards and three touchdowns.

Redshirt junior quarterback Miller Moss also impressed, throwing for 308 yards and accounting for three touchdowns. The home victory gets the Trojans back to .500 on the season, just two wins away from securing a berth in a bowl game.

11:32 p.m.
    Darrian Merritt, Assistant Sports Editor

The Scarlet Knights got the ball back, looking to make the score a little bit closer for their fans in New Jersey (where it is 2:32 a.m.), but a huge sack by redshirt sophomore safety Zion Branch is going to wrap this game up. The Trojans take over on their own 32 yard line, with just under three minutes left to go here in Los Angeles.

11:18 p.m.

Rutgers made a deep drive into USC territory, but failed to convert a 4th and 1 at the USC 13 yard line, handing the ball back to the Trojans. This one might be nearing its conclusion.

11:12 p.m.

The story of this game really seems to revolve around the speed of USCs offense. Rutgers is 8/17 on 3rd down, while USC is only 2/4. Even though Rutgers has nearly 8 more minutes of possession, the Trojans are speeding down the field and scoring on almost every drive, and Rutgers can’t seem to keep up.

11:04 p.m.

Technical difficulties precluded the usual lighting of the torch after the 3rd quarter, so fans pulled out their flashlights instead. 15 minutes to go at the Coliseum!

10:44 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

Lemon’s big night continues, bringing in a 40 yard touchdown pass from Moss. Lemon has 134 yards on just 4 receptions so far. 42-20, Trojans.

10:44 p.m.

Another 3 and out for Rutgers, and the ball is back with USC.

10:33 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

Moss scored on an impressive option play that left the left side of the field without any defenders in sight. USC is trying to put this one out of reach, pushing their lead to 35-20.

10:33 p.m.

The fun truly never stops! Lemon almost takes the pass from Moss all the way, getting pushed out of bounds at the Rutgers 5 yard line. The Trojans now set up shop in the red zone.

10:28 p.m.

Touchdown Rutgers

The Scarlet Knights went 70 yards in two plays, and added a two-point conversion on top to close the deficit to 8. We have a one-score game here at United Airlines Field. It’s a fun night!

10:27 p.m.

Rutgers senior quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis just threw an incredible pass to senior wide receiver Dymere Miller, who’s been his preferred target all night. Big play, 46 yards, Rutgers is in the red zone. Wow.

10:20 p.m.

Quarterback Miller Moss (yes, really) punted the ball back to Rutgers after the Trojans’ drive stalled out.

10:12 p.m.

We’re back from the half, and Rutgers has gone a quick three and out, punting it back towards the west end zone.

9:47 p.m.

At the half, USC leads Rutgers 28-12. The Trojans’ offense has looked excellent today, with Moss going 14/16 for 172 yards and a touchdown. Of course, this one is far from over; the last two weeks against Penn State and Maryland have shown that closing out games isn’t a given with this squad.

9:45 p.m.

The Scarlet Knights had five opportunities to score in the red zone, even being aided by two pass interference calls against the Trojans, but it looks like they’ll be ending this drive with a field goal.

9:30 p.m.

Rutgers just narrowly avoided disaster; what looked to be a fumble and subsequent return by the Trojan defense was ruled to be an incomplete pass, allowing the Knights to keep possession.

9:25 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

“California Love” by Tupac Shakur is booming from the speakers once again; Marks just ripped off a 22 yard touchdown run, for his third score of the day. The Trojans now lead 28-9, with 1:53 remaining in the 2nd quarter.

Ana Hunter / Daily Trojan
    9:22 p.m.

We’ve reached the two minute warning, and “California Love” is booming over the speakers. The crowd seems to be in pretty good spirits.

9:14 p.m.

Touchdown Rutgers

The Scarlet Knights put together an 11 play, 75 yard drive, but, sadly, the PAT went wide. Trojans lead 21-9.

9:13 p.m.

Rutgers has practically walked up the field, converting a couple of third downs along the way. The Knights are looking to close the deficit here.

8:58 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

Moss’s pass was hauled in by redshirt senior wide receiver Kyle Ford, who improbably stayed in bounds to cross the pylon. USC leads 21-3 with 10:26 left to go in the half.

Ethan Thai / Daily Trojan
    8:58 p.m.

USC has made their way back into the red zone. 1st & 10 on the 11.

8:50 p.m.

The Scarlet Knights opened the 2nd quarter with a turnover on downs, after a deep throw on 4th & 4 went out of the end zone. USC takes over at their own 30.

8:38 p.m.

The arena has erupted, but not for the Trojans; the Los Angeles Dodgers just took Game 1 of the 2024 World Series, with a walk-off grand slam in the 10th inning.

8:36 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS!

Marks pushed his way into the end zone for his second score of the night. The Trojans now lead by 11, heading into the end of the quarter.

8:32 p.m.

Sophomore wide receiver Malachi Lemon just ripped off an 80-yard kick return, setting the Trojans’ second drive up to start in the red zone. This has been a big play quarter.

8:29 p.m.

Their goal line drive stalled out, but the Knights kicked a field goal, bringing the score to 7-3.

8:25 p.m.

A huge 27 yard run by senior running back Kyle Monangai pushed Rutgers into the red zone. The Trojan defense was then called for a facemask, putting the Knights at the USC 12-yard line.

8:11 p.m.
    TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

Redshirt senior Woody Marks barrelled into the end zone to put a touchdown back on the board. USC leads, 7-0.

8:07 p.m.

Redshirt junior quarterback Miller Moss threw a clean pass into the end zone to sophomore wide receiver Zachariah Branch for a touchdown. 

After review, the touchdown call was overturned. It seems like Branch lost possession on the ground. 1st and goal at the 3.

8:05 p.m.

Some big chunk plays have pushed the Trojans into the red zone, but a fumble after the catch nearly spoiled USC’s momentum. 1st & Goal at the Rutgers 9.

7:58 p.m.

Welcome to Friday Night Lights at the Coliseum! The Trojans have won the coin toss, and have elected to receive. Kickoff should be underway shortly.