Asian representation headlines at ‘Head in the Clouds’

As 88rising fans anxiously await the festivities of this weekend’s festival, the Los Angeles-based label makes major moves to highlight intersectional Asian talent.

By MS. DACITY
88rising’s “Head in the Clouds” festival brings together prominent Asian music artists this weekend in Pasadena. (Marissa Ding / Daily Trojan)

The sixth year of the “Head in the Clouds” festival comes to Pasadena this weekend, and Asian artists are cementing their spots in the headlines.

While K-pop sensations and Japanese city pop nostalgia have slowly been building an American audience, the artists and groups have always been seen as “the other.” With the rise of musical forces such as 88rising, an artists collective founded by Sean Miyashiro, a new generation of Asian American artists is stepping out of the pop periphery and into the spotlight.

Founded in 2015, 88rising quickly became a powerhouse in the entertainment industry with early viral hits Rich Brian’s “Dat $tick” and Keith Ape’s “It G Ma.” With a mission to elevate Asian talents and challenge stereotypes while creating a platform that celebrates the richness of Asian culture, the collective’s popularity rivals traditional media giants. Born on the internet, 88rising’s greatest strength comes from leveraging the power of social media and digital platforms to reach global audiences.

The secret of 88rising’s unique success lies in its diverse roster of artists, including internet personality Joji and former Taylor Swift-opening act NIKI. These artists hail from a wide variety of Asian countries, and their unique perspectives have resonated with many Asian Americans. 88rising’s artists seamlessly blend Eastern and Western influences, creating a truly global sound that appeals to listeners from all walks of life.

“I was born in China and stayed there until age 7, so it was always clear to me how many Asian artists existed, but how few were shown in America,” said Marianne Zhou, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering who attended the festival in 2022. “88rising is a purely Asian American experience. Almost every single artist is an Asian American, and their music is able to reflect the Asian American experience, which is something that very few artists can do.”

In 2018, 88rising launched the “Head in the Clouds” festival, named after their corresponding collaborative album. Met with an overwhelmingly positive initial reception, the celebration became a beloved annual event that draws music enthusiasts from across the globe.

The festival’s lineup features not only the label’s artists but also other prominent musicians and acts that promote diversity and cross-cultural collaboration. This year’s iteration, which takes place this weekend at the Rose Bowl’s Brookside venue, boasts headliners such as Rina Sawayama, ZEDD and Tokimonsta.

Beyond the impressive array of Asian artists, the festival celebrates these cultures in all their forms. Attendees are treated to a vibrant and immersive experience, from art installations to comedy performances to 626 Night Market-curated food vendors showcasing the rich culinary heritage of Asia. 88rising’s multidimensional approach fosters a sense of community for the largely Asian audiences, fostering connections that go beyond the music itself.

“I remember when I was in high school and 88rising released their very first ‘Head In The Clouds” album. I had never seen so many Asian artists in a collective at once, and I grew up in a predominantly white community,” said Paulene Ng Chee, a senior majoring in communication and communication management and long-time 88rising fan. “Progress doesn’t happen overnight, and I feel like we’re seeing that, especially with films like ‘Everything Everywhere All At Once’ or ‘Shang Chi [and the Legend of the Ten Rings].’”

Looking ahead to this weekend’s festivities, it’s imperative to remember that representation matters. Platforms like 88rising that champion Asian voices and ensure that diverse artists have equal opportunities to thrive in the music industry are the first step to taking up space. By embracing and celebrating the vast array of Asian and Asian American cultures, “Head in the Clouds” attendees have a chance to uplift unheard voices.

“The power behind Asian American representation starts with scratching beyond the surface of pop-culture topics, it’s about addressing the good, bad and the ugly,” said Kelly Huang, a junior majoring in intelligence and cyber operations and business administration. “While we can certainly point to food, culture, language, etc. as tangible examples of Asian American-ness, it takes perseverance and vulnerability to expand society’s expectations of what Asian Americans ‘should’ be like.”

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.