USC Security Roundup

The following incidents were reported in the USC Dept. of Public Safety incident report summary between Thursday, Oct. 2, and Friday, Oct. 3.  

Crimes against property

At 12:13 p.m. on Oct. 2, an unsecured iPod was taken from a university vehicle parked outside the Corwin D. Denney Research Center.

At 2:56 p.m. on Oct. 2, a student at Kappa Sigma reported his bicycle missing.

At 11:07 p.m. on Oct. 2, it was reported that a suspect removed a bicycle secured to a bike rack at University Gateway Apartments.

At 11:42 p.m. on Oct. 2, it was reported that a suspect entered an unsecured classroom at Mark Taper Hall of Humanities and removed an unattended backpack.

At 2:31 a.m. on Oct. 3, it was reported that a glass door was shattered at 3036 Hoover Street by unknown means.

Miscellaneous incidents

At 7:42 a.m. on Oct. 2, a radiation alarm was activated at the Keck Hospital of USC.  DPS officers responded and determined that a staff member’s bag caused the alarm to go off.  The staff member was instructed to properly dispose of the bag.

At 6:43 p.m. on Oct. 2, DPS officers responded to a student suffering from bronchitis at Cecele and Michael Birnkrant Residence Hall. An LAFD RA unit was already on scene when officers arrived, and the student was released after declining medical treatment.

At 7:03 p.m. on Oct. 2, DPS officers responded to claims of someone trespassing at Kaprielian Hall.  After checking the suspect’s name, the officers found that he had been caught trespassing multiple times and subsequently arrested him and detained him for booking.

At 8:34 p.m. on Oct. 2, a staff member at Terrace Apartments collided with a bicyclist while driving a university vehicle.  The bicyclist got off his bike to take a photo of the vehicle license plate then rode away.  There was a small amount of damage to the vehicle.

At 9:39 p.m. on Oct. 2, a traffic collision was reported between a student driving a university vehicle and a non-USC female driving her own vehicle.  Both of the vehicles sustained some damage.

At 11:23 p.m. on Oct. 2, a first floor fire alarm was activated at Alpha Epsilon Pi.  DPS officers and LAFD Unit #15 responded and reset the fire alarm.

At 11:59 p.m. on Oct. 2 , DPS officers responded to a student who injured her ankle while stepping off a curb at 29th Street and Menlo Avenue. The student said she would seek treatment on her own at the Engemann Student Health Center and was transported to her residence by DPS officers.

At 1:38 a.m. on Oct. 3, DPS officers responded to an intoxicated student who was passsed out near 31st Street and Orchard Avenue. The student was unresponsive when contacted by the officers, so an LAFD RA unit was requested, and the student was subsequently transported to California Hospital for medical treatment.