Welcome to the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books

The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books returns to campus this weekend offering a wide range of events and activities from cooking demonstrations to comic books. Below, the Daily Trojan highlighted some of the most exciting events to check out this weekend. You will also find event previews and exclusive Daily Trojan content.

Saturday

10:30

a.m.

Young Adult Fiction: Magical Realism on the Page

Acclaimed young adult novelist Brandy Colbert will moderate a talk on magical realism in young adult fiction. Her upcoming novel Pointe will come out in 2017. Authors Shaun David Hutchinson, Sean McGinty and Peter Rock will also be present.

11

a.m.

Stan Lee, author of Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir:

Comic book legend Stan Lee will kick off the first day on the Los Angeles Times Main Stage with a discussion of his full-color graphic memoir, Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir. The former president and chairman of Marvel Comics, Lee is one of the writers who created Spider-Man, The Hulk, The Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Thor, the X-Men and many other famous comic book characters. He will be interviewed by L.A. Times reporter Jevon Phillips, and afterward will be available to sign copies of his memoir purchased from the Vroman’s Bookstore booth at the festival.

12

p.m.

Duff Goldman, author of Duff Bakes: Think and Bake Like a Pro at Home

Celebrity baker Duff Goldman will give a cooking demonstration on the Acura Cooking Stage and preview his latest cookbook, Duff Bakes: Think and Bake Like a Pro at Home. Goldman is famous for his Food Network reality show Ace of Cakes, which follows his Baltimore bakery Charm City Cakes as they prepare eccentric, over-the-top cakes for special events.

1:20

p.m.

Padma Lakshmi, author of Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir

Padma Lakshmi, author of Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir, will be interviewed by Noelle Carter. Carter works as the director of the L.A. Times Test Kitchen and reviews recipes and writes features for the Times. She is also a regular contributor to Food’s Daily Dish blog.

3:40

p.m.

Buzz Aldrin

Carolyn Kellogg, the book editor of the Los Angeles Times will interview Buzz Aldrin, author of No Dream Is Too High: Lessons From a Man Who Walked on the Moon. Aldrin will autograph his books Welcome to Mars and No Dream Is Too High.

4

p.m.

Luis J. Rodriguez, Los Angeles Poet Laureate

Los Angeles Poet Laureate Luis J. Rodriguez will share some of his poetry and take part in a discussion hosted by Elena Karina Byrne and Marty Williams. Rodriguez is nationally recognized as a leader in Chicano literature and is best known for his work Always Running: La Vida Loca, Gang Days in L.A. which won the the Carl Sandburg Literary Award.

Sunday

1:30

p.m.

National Book Award winner Robin Coste Lewis

National Book Award winner Robin Coste Lewis will moderate a talk on race, justice and poetry. She is best known for her book Voyage of the Sable Venus. The talk will also be moderated by Taj Frazier, an assistant professor of communication at Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.

3:30

p.m.

Reading By 9

Hosted by Nick Young and Jen Stillion-Young, Mary Pope Osborne will take part in the children’s reading stage on Sunday. The author is known for her Magic Tree House books — a popular children’s series which follows the adventures of Jack and Annie, two normal children who travel through time in a magical tree house in their backyard.

That John d’oh · John Doe channels Western vibes in his new album. He will sing songs inspired by the elements of the desert. - Photo courtesy of John Doe

Musician John Doe set to perform at LA Soundstage

Read the story behind his new album

Still can’t find what you’re looking for?

Check out these events as well.