Saturday is more than a rivalry

Do it for the seniors” is a common theme in locker rooms, but never has it been more relevant than this weekend. If USC doesn’t beat UCLA on Saturday, the seniors on the team will graduate having never won a game against their crosstown rivals. For a school that prides itself on being a national football powerhouse, that can’t happen.

“Do it for Helton” has been a driving force for the team since the interim head coach took over, and after last week’s loss to Oregon, a loss to UCLA would just about ensure that Helton is not the head coach next year. Helton has been coaching for his job all season, and has managed to keep his team in contention for a Pac-12 South title, and his season now comes down to one game.

It’s merely a coincidence that the game deciding the Pac-12 South has come down to the annual rivalry game against UCLA. That game is the most anticipated every season, especially in recent years as a result of UCLA’s success. Though beating the Bruins used to be routine, the Trojans haven’t won the rivalry game in three years. It’s important every season, as every win counts, but the Trojans’ entire season and the future of Helton is riding on this game.

The two losses the Trojans have suffered under Helton have been to ranked teams, with Notre Dame currently coming in at No. 4 with its only loss of the season coming from No. 1 Clemson. Last weekend’s loss at Oregon was disappointing, but Oregon is better than its 8-3 record, as quarterback Vernon Adams missed time due to injury, but the Ducks have looked unstoppable since his return.

The expectations are so high at USC that two losses, even if they are at the hands of ranked teams, makes it hard to make a case for the head coaching job. That being said, it’s also hard to argue with a Pac-12 South title. And if Helton is able to beat the Pac-12 North champion and earn a Rose Bowl berth, it’d be hard to overlook him.

It’s also an important game for redshirt senior Cody Kessler. Kessler has lost to former UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley the past two seasons but will now face true freshman Josh Rosen. Kessler began the season as a Heisman candidate but has not played to his potential this year. At the end of the day, though, all of that can be forgiven with a win over UCLA. I think in a way, Kessler’s legacy is on the line. It will be the final home game of his USC career, and the way he plays against a true freshman will be the way his career is remembered.

The most important thing about this game is that it determines the Pac-12 South champion. But for many Trojans — Kessler, Helton and the seniors — it is so much more than that. Legacies will be cemented and futures determined.