Ball no longer in Supreme Court; set sights on 2010
Posted May 27, 2009 at 9:08 am in Opinion
Itâs dĂ©jĂ vu, all over again.
This morning, amid the bustle of Obamaâs Supreme Court justice nomination, as rumors flew fast and hard surroundingÂ North Koreaâs so-called missile testing, and gossip mills were abuzz in the aftermath of Monday nightâs explosive âJon & Kate Plus 8â episode (only in America are we so fascinated with offspring in multiples of eight), Proposition 8 was upheld.
When Prop 8 originally passed, having garnered the support of 52 percent of Californiaâs voters, protestors (the other 48 percent) reacted apoplectically across the country. There was something similar in the tableau outside the California Supreme Court in San Francisco Tuesday morning, as peals of boos and cries of condemnation swept the crowd.
Attempts to hold the court responsible are misguided, however, as it was the court of public opinion that faltered in November, jilting many Californians out of a once-constitutional right.
While the spirit of the times seems to be concentrating its retaliatory oomph on the court that ratified the votersâ decision, or the governor who upheld this ratification, ultimately, the responsibility comes to rest with those who did (or didnât vote) Nov. 4.
Enthusiasm and fervor can only carry a movement so far â if Californians donât consummate their ardency with a checked box, they have no one to blame but themselves. In the end, the supporters of Prop 8 were more dedicated than the opponents, and the vote swayed to âYes.â
Pundits say the issue of gay marriage might make another appearance on California ballots as soon as 2010, at which point we can only hope the California votersâ blasĂ© attitude toward constitutional rights has changed.
The time to protest the courtâs decision is through; opponents of Prop 8 should instead focus on regrouping for an inevitable rematch, at which time we can only hope they will be better prepared to gather votes â not just gusto.