Coliseum regular continues to sell programs

Sometimes the shrewdest businessman in the room is the one wearing a Goofy cap.

Seventy-two-year-old Charles Franklin has been selling souvenir football programs at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for nearly six decades now.

Constant presence · Charles Franklin, 72, has been selling  souvenir football programs at the Coliseum for the last 60 years. - Tim Tran | Daily Trojan

Constant presence · Charles Franklin, 72, has been selling souvenir football programs at the Coliseum for the last 60 years. - Tim Tran | Daily Trojan

In those six decades, Franklin has been consistent in both his location and his headwear.

Franklin, who always sets up in front of Tunnel 21, has worn his signature Goofy hat to every home USC football game since he got it eight years ago. And while the floppy ears dangling over his temples and the brown pom-pon nose don’t appear to be all that relevant to his job selling programs, he says he knows what he’s doing.

“I wear [the hat] all the time,” Franklin said, “because it draws the crowd. They like it, and all the customers enjoy seeing the Goofy cap.”

Despite suffering severe brain trauma in his youth and being diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 1968, Franklin has carved out a satisfying life for himself, working a series of odd jobs throughout Los Angeles.

A Beverlywood native now living just outside of Downtown, Franklin began selling programs at the Coliseum in 1952, at the age of 15. Over the years, he’s seen multiple teams pass through the famed stadium. Most of them — including UCLA and the since-relocated Los Angeles Rams NFL franchise — spent less time at the Coliseum than Franklin has.

His consistent attendance has made him a fixture at the Coliseum.

“He can only remember one time when he was sick,” said John Heil, a close friend who lived with Franklin in a boarding house in the mid-Wilshire district in 1971.

Despite his age and his illness, Franklin is able to function well almost on his own, though he does need help with certain things.

“He doesn’t drive and he doesn’t cook meals in his own apartment,” Heil said.

Sometimes the hand tremors associated with his Parkinson’s disease prove to be an impediment to his program distribution, but it’s rarely enough to keep him out of work.

Franklin seems more than aware of his status as a game day staple at the Coliseum.

He has met USC coach Pete Carroll (“Yeah, he seemed nice and everything,” Franklin said) and, according to Heil, was once made an honorary Trojan Knight.

When asked if he thought people would be disappointed if he were not at a game, Franklin answered only “yes.”

Come two hours before kick-off on any given game day, Franklin can be found picking up the 125 programs he’s allotted, stationing himself in front of Tunnel 21 and situating himself to project his voice to any fans within earshot.

While Tunnel 21 isn’t actually part of the Coliseum’s designated student section seating, generations of Trojans have become acquainted with the high-voiced pitchman hollering from his place just outside the breezeway.

Jeff Michel, a USC alumnus who lives in Long Beach, was one of those students. He said he knew of Franklin while in school, but only now feels as if he knows the man beneath the hat.

“I was a freshman in ’71, and then we’d be walking over to the Coliseum for the games, and I’d see him,” Michel, now a regular customer of Franklin’s, said.

Several years later, in 1997, Michel tried to reach out to Franklin by offering him some extra work.

“I was in the tunnel and I started talking to him and I gave him my business card,” Michel said. “By Monday morning … I had [received] three pages from him within a five-minute period. And I go, ‘Oh boy, he’s a very, very persistent fellow.’”

According to Michel, Franklin has an affinity for collecting business cards and forging contacts.

“He’s an incredible networker,” Michel said.

Franklin acts as if he’s in a current state of unemployment, never withdrawing from the job hunt for even a second. He’s also not above using transparent marketing ploys, like the popular hat, to turn a profit, Michel said.

To keep busy, Franklin also holds a five-day-a-week job Downtown.

“He does odd jobs over in the Cal Mart building down in the Garment District, including picking up the company’s mail and delivering their mail,” Michel said. “His favorite job is stuffing envelopes.”

Though many Franklin’s age would be considering retirement, Franklin says he has no plans of stopping. While he cites the turkey sandwiches and grilled chicken at the International House of Pancakes and Denny’s as one of his favorite ways to spend his earnings, he isn’t holding onto his jobs strictly as a means to finance his diner habit.

More than his need for money, Franklin needs work to fill his days.

“With Charles, it’s more of a self-image building thing: Always stay busy,” Michel said. “He’s got an incredible work ethic.”

No matter what else the future may hold for Franklin, it’s likely going to involve shouting the words “souvenir program” to USC football fans. As long as there are programs to be sold to adoring patrons, he’ll be there.

“He’s a lovable character,” Michel said. “He’s a real survivor.”