For Gysin, wisdom comes with age

USC outside hitter Jessica Gysin is 23 now, a sixth-year senior working on her master’s degree in political science.

It’s been a long road to this point in her career, so let’s recap.

Seasoned veteran · USC senior outside hitter Jessica Gysin has assumed the role of leader for the Women of Troy. Now in her sixth year, Gysin had to overcome early injuries, but remains one of the nation’s top players. - Ian Elston | Daily Trojan

She was a highly touted recruit coming into USC, garnering such honors as Gatorade State Player of the Year, Volleyball Magazine’s National Player of the Year and CIF state championship MVP — twice — at St. Francis High in Los Gatos, Calif.

And then, in her first week of practice with the Women of Troy in 2004, Gysin suffered a severe left ankle sprain, sidelining her for roughly six weeks.

In her first match back, she aggravated the injury and her freshman season was over.

The next summer, she tore her left anterior cruciate ligament. Her second year: kaput.

An ACL tear — especially for a volleyball player that relies so heavily on jumping and explosions of agility — can be career-ending.

But not to Gysin, who fought back and returned the next season to start as outside hitter for a Women of Troy team that went 27-5 and lasted until the regional semifinals of the NCAA tournament.

“You know how they say, ‘What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger?’” said Karen Gysin, Jessica’s mother and a former collegiate volleyball player herself. “Well, she became so much stronger.”

Mom’s right.

Her daughter is now a certifiable weapon as a 6-foot-1 dynamo from the outside for the Women of Troy. She’s averaging 3.5 kills per set this season, good for second on the team behind sophomore sensation Alex Jupiter.

But more important for the team is her leadership role. Gysin is the team captain, and players and coaches alike describe her as a facilitator extraordinaire.

“Certainly the injuries were devastating,” USC coach Mick Haley said. “Most people would have gone under with injuries like that, but she’s really a fighter.

“But the biggest thing with her — even bigger than the injuries — is learning how to lead.”

When Haley talks to his team in a huddle at the end of practice, Gysin’s always in the middle of it.

When there’s a key play on the court — one of those back-and-forth rallies that gets the crowd roaring — Gysin’s always in the middle of it.

When the players on the court regroup after a frustrating point in a match, Gysin’s always in the middle, providing encouragement.

There’s a trend going on. The Women of Troy count on Gysin to be their backbone. And she’s done it, consistently.

“She’s done a pretty magnificent job of holding us together and helping us grow,” Haley said. “And she’s still been able to maintain her game as well.”

Gysin has been the eldest player on the team since her sophomore season — believe it or not.

And the experience shows.

“It’s allowed our young kids to grow up faster,” Haley said. “Last year she was still coming into her own as a leader, but this year she’s taken a greater role in stabilizing everybody.”

And that role was fostered during those two years Gysin spent in volleyball exile, forced to sit on the sidelines and watch volleyball from a different perspective.

“I learned how to be a leader through watching the older players go through it,” Gysin said. “Leadership is one of the most important skills you can have, and now that I’m older, I’m the team leader.”

The Women of Troy are going to need it.

Ranked No. 16 in the nation, the Women of Troy will play two top-20 teams this weekend at No. 4 Stanford and No. 14 Cal.

The weekend could make or break this year for USC. The first two months of the season have been up and down in the truest sense of the phrase.

The Women of Troy won 11 of their first 12 matches. Then they lost five of their next seven. But against the Oregon schools last weekend, USC dominated, sweeping all six sets and gaining momentum for this weekend.

Their success starts with Gysin, but it’s not all about her — not at all.

Senior libero Alli Hillgren’s been a leader in her own right.

Sophomore outside hitter Alex Jupiter is averaging more than five kills a set during conference play — a ridiculous number.

And with sophomore Lauren Williams and junior Audrey Eichler growing into their own at the middle blocker position, there’s reason to believe this team can make an NCAA run.

“It’s been dynamic to have our sophomores doing so well, but the reason is Gysin and Hillgren’s senior leadership,” Haley said. “That allows the sophomores to really start to come on and a postseason run to maybe become a reality.”

Gysin is the elder stateswoman of the Women of Troy. More than two years older than anyone else on the team, she’ll turn 24 during postseason play.

But that age — and the experience that comes with it — has given her a unique perspective. Call it whatever you want to call it: more volleyball experience, a more mature outlook or simply just being older.

“She’s an old lady,” her mother jokingly quips.

If you say so. But a darn athletic one.

“Looking Past the X’s & O’s” runs Wednesdays. To comment on this article, visit dailytrojan.com or email Pedro at [email protected].